Author Topic: Trump orders officials to look at $100 billion in new Chinese tariffs  (Read 4447 times)

Offline DB

Re: Trump orders officials to look at $100 billion in new Chinese tariffs
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2018, 06:13:17 pm »
@Frank Cannon

I'm no fan of subsidizing farming, but I believe the problems of government subsidies are exacerbated by the tariffs.

The only difference between protecting an industry via subsidies verses tariffs is subsidies are a tax on everyone who pay taxes while tariffs are a tax on the specific chain of users of the products being protected. The protected class then no longer has to compete and usually stagnate losing any competitive edge while increasing costs.

The overall result is a lower standard of living.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2018, 06:36:42 pm »
The only difference between protecting an industry via subsidies verses tariffs is subsidies are a tax on everyone who pay taxes while tariffs are a tax on the specific chain of users of the products being protected. The protected class then no longer has to compete and usually stagnate losing any competitive edge while increasing costs.

The overall result is a lower standard of living.

@DB

That was very well stated.  I agree.  When did the GOP start supporting government picking the winners?

ahhh-fasism-choo

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2018, 06:40:37 pm »
Treasury Secretary Mnuchin says there is the possibility of a trade war with China, but that's not the objective

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Friday the Trump administration is prepared for an escalation of its trade dispute with China.

"Our objective is still not to be in a trade war with [China]," Mnuchin said on CNBC's "Power Lunch." "I'm cautiously optimistic that we will be able to work this out."

But, he added, "there is the potential of a trade war."

Mnuchin said the U.S. is in "communications" with China, but he didn't want to comment on the progress of the talks.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/04/06/mnuchin-said-he-is-in-communication-with-china-about-tariffs-objective-is-not-a-trade-war.html

Trade wars are good and easy to win. The trade war was lost years ago. We’re not in a trade war, it’s not what we want, but it’s possible. Just try to keep up with this clown show amateur hour BS.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:41:35 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2018, 08:26:07 pm »
As I said before, our trade deficit with China is so large, they cannot possibly win a trade war with us.
China being allied with Russia is going to send the liberals into a tailspin. How can they side with China against Trump if China is allied with the evil Russians? Agh!

Right.  :amen:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2018, 02:35:56 am »
@DB

That was very well stated.  I agree.  When did the GOP start supporting government picking the winners?

When they chose a lifelong Democrat to be their Presidential nominee?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2018, 04:27:44 am »
Trade wars are good and easy to win. The trade war was lost years ago. We’re not in a trade war, it’s not what we want, but it’s possible. Just try to keep up with this clown show amateur hour BS.

goopo So good it is worth posting again.