Author Topic: The Blues Channel  (Read 49596 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: The Blues Channel
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2019, 02:12:03 am »
Floyd Dixon  -  Hey Bartender

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #151 on: December 21, 2019, 11:45:57 am »
I've been fortunate enough in my lifetime to see the following Blues musicians live:

B.B. King
Albert King
Buddy Guy
Gatemouth Brown
Albert Collins
Johnny Clyde Copeland
Robert Cray
Lonnie Johnson
Etta James
Duke Robillard
Ronnie Earl
Room full of Blues
Lou Ann Barton
Marcia Ball
Lonnie Mack
Susan Tedechi
Little Charlie and the Night Cats
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Fabulous Thunderbirds (Jimmie Vaughan)
Eric Clapton
Allman Brother (newer version-w/o Duane and Dickie, but with Trucks on slide)

From the late eighties to the mid nineties, I was a lead guitarist in a blues band called "The Detonators"
We did okay, had plenty of work.
We played regularly in a venue called "Billy Blues" in Houston, on Richmond Avenue.
It was known for this big blue saxophone statue made of Volkswagen parts, at the entrance to the building.
Here's a link to a photograph of it:

www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=2D2DE7E660B5D7C18B599CFF79E0E1E4C1D1A594&thid=OIP.ddbYC5gCX018auZv1tl0SwAAAA&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fww3.hdnux.com%2Fphotos%2F20%2F17%2F63%2F4259030%2F11%2F622x350.jpg&exph=350&expw=256&q=billy+blues+saxophone+statue&selectedindex=0&qpvt=billy+blues+saxophone+statue&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,2,6

I love this subject

I am familiar with most of them,and have seen and heard a lot of them play,but not Etta James. I am eaten alive with envy.

This is one of my all-time favorite You Tube videos. Two old pros,both past their prime,but still showing the children how it's done.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline corbe

« Reply #152 on: December 24, 2019, 08:45:16 pm »
Gregg Giarelis - Five Years Of Trouble

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

« Reply #153 on: December 24, 2019, 10:11:49 pm »
   My nomination for Blues song of the year ~ (2006)

Acme Blues Company - Liquor Store

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #154 on: December 24, 2019, 10:21:33 pm »
   My nomination for Blues song of the year ~ (2006)

Acme Blues Company - Liquor Store

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

OK, I love the song well enough, but who... is... that.... woman?  Yum.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #155 on: December 24, 2019, 10:24:53 pm »
I just received this book as a Christmas present . . .

. . . so I got into the mood to listen to what I think are his best blues (and choosing isn't easy) . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

(He has the second guitar solo here . . .)

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline corbe

« Reply #156 on: December 24, 2019, 10:26:51 pm »
    I have nary a clue @andy58-in-nh and I feel guilty because I should, since I've had carnal knowledge with her in my mind.

Offline corbe

« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2020, 05:37:30 pm »
PK Mayo - Arms Of The Blues

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline corbe

« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2020, 05:39:03 pm »
Chris Bell - Elevator To Heaven

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline corbe

« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2020, 08:31:03 pm »
Working Blues Band - Who's Been Talking

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline corbe

« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2020, 08:46:55 pm »
Roxy Perry - House Of The Rising Sun

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline libertybele

« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2020, 08:52:21 pm »
Not really one for the 'Blues'. I've seen the Moody Blues several times.  Do they count?  :whistle:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESER7DFXWiI
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2020, 08:57:52 pm »
   You better be glad 'they' don't allow me to Moderate this Category anymore is all I gotta say.  :tongue2:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2020, 09:07:25 pm »
   You better be glad 'they' don't allow me to Moderate this Category anymore is all I gotta say.  :tongue2:

:beer:  I needed a respite from "politics"
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2020, 09:54:57 pm »
   I do too, more often than not here lately, @libertybele and Music is a great escape for me. 

@EasyAce first time I've heard this version.

Aunt Kizzy'z Boyz - I'll Play The Blues For You

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2020, 05:55:48 pm »
Delbert McCliinton  -  B Movie Boxcar Blues

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 05:56:41 pm by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline corbe

« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2020, 07:25:30 pm »
David Bromberg ~ Tongue

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2020, 08:14:41 pm »
Not really one for the 'Blues'. I've seen the Moody Blues several times.  Do they count?  :whistle:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESER7DFXWiI
Uh, no, they don't. They were never a blues group, even if their original lineup (pre-Days of Future Passed) leaned on R&B. The original lineup: Denny Laine (lead vocals, guitar, and future member of Paul McCartney & Wings), Ray Thomas (vocals, harmonica), Mike Pinder (keyboards), Clint Warwick (bass), and Graeme Edge (drums). That lineup recorded one album (The Magnificent Moodies in England, Go Now in America) and had a smash on both sides of the ocean covering R&B singer Bessie Banks's "Go Now" in early 1965. (In the U.S., the success of "Go Now" earned the original Moody Blues a slot opening for the Beatles on some 1965 tour dates.) When they were unable to follow that hit up with anything else anywhere near as successful, the closest they got being "From the Bottom of My Heart," tension arose in the band and Warwick decided to leave in spring 1966, with Laine following almost at once.

That left Thomas, Pinder, and Edge to think about starting over, beginning with inviting a former bandmate of Thomas's, John Lodge, to join them as their new bassist. Then, near the end of 1966, Justin Hayward (guitars, vocals) joined up. While they concentrated on playing in Europe, where they could earn a good living in live performances, Lodge, Hayward, and Pinder also began writing very different kinds of songs than the original lineup took on. And Thomas mostly put his harmonica aside in favour of the flute, while all five of the new lineup began writing songs as well. (Edge, in the beginning, was more likely to write poems to be read aloud that way over music than to write songs.)

Between that and a quirk of fate involving their British record company, things would change for the Moody Blues rather drastically starting in 1967. British Decca had a new stereo concept they wanted to experiment with, something they called Deramic Sound---and with the Moody Blues owing them a pile from unrecouped advances during their down period, the label all but ordered the band to deliver an album recorded in that concept . . . and, somehow, the band convinced the label to turn away from the intended rock version of Dvorak's From the New World and let them split the difference, recording a new, original cycle of songs depicting a day in the life, with a full orchestra. The net result was both 1967's Days of Future Passed and British Decca's Deram subsidiary label, on which would also come such hit groups as Procol Harum (for one album, anyway, before they moved to A&M) and Ten Years After.

Days, of course, became a hit album in England and America; Edge wrote and read the two poems that bookended the album. In England, "Nights in White Satin" became the big hit single, while "Tuesday Afternoon" (edited down from the album's "Forever Afternoon (Tuesday)") became the hit in America that year. (Exactly why "Nights in White Satin" didn't catch in America the first time around is unknown, but when it was reissued in 1972 it became a blockbuster.) And it presented a bigger problem: Days was successful enough to retire the Moodies' debt to their label, but the label wasn't willing to foot the bill for another round with a full orchestra. Enter the Mellotron, which the Beatles were already using in their music and which Mike Pinder knew more than a few things about---when the Moodies had down periods, Pinder worked in the factory that produced the instruments that could reproduce orchestral sounds through internal tape looping, and he knew enough about them to alter them drastically to fit his and the Moodies' need. (They got nicknamed Pindertrons, in fact.) Beginning with In Search of the Lost Chord, the Mellotron became a major signature sound for the group---and a temporary headache when they realised a lot of the music they were producing from there wasn't easy to perform in concerts because of the prodigious overdubbing. It seems to have taken them until portions of On the Threshold of a Dream (Edge once again wrote and recited a poem---essentially, the album's title track---over a sound backdrop) and (especially) A Question of Balance to write material they could perform live including Pinder's Mellotron washes.

But you know the rest.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 08:17:28 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline corbe

« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2020, 08:15:34 pm »
Summertime - Billy Strings & Marcus King

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline corbe

« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2020, 09:23:47 pm »
Stevey Hay's Shades Of Blue - Fade To Black

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline corbe

« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2020, 11:44:57 pm »
Harder Dreams - John Moreland

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline corbe

« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2020, 05:35:36 pm »

Offline corbe

« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2020, 08:16:55 pm »
Tony Joe White - The Guitar Don't Lie (Best All Time Hits 2014 / 1080p HQ) Mu©o

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2020, 03:00:16 pm »
Johnny Winter  -  Suzie Q

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #174 on: April 06, 2020, 03:14:45 pm »
Stevey Hay's Shades Of Blue - Fade To Black

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
[/quoteG
@corbe

BTW,the guy in that photo is the star of a Netflix series titled "Peaky Blinders". They are a Gypsy gang in Ireland dating back to pre-WW-1 days that used to put razor blades in their hat brims so they could swing the hats and blind people they were fighting with.

Good scripts,superb acting,and beautiful scenery. Kinda brutal at times,though.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!