Author Topic: Dick's Sporting Goods CEO on decision to no longer sell assault-style rifles: 'We don’t want to be a  (Read 18862 times)

Offline goodwithagun

How can one disagree with that?   Preserve the right, but acknowledge and help solve the problem.

Since the second amendment is about a right, much like the first amendment, shouldn't they be forced to sell guns like cake bakers are forced to sell wedding cakes?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
We are not Australia.

@Jazzhead
Thats right, we're smarter then they were.  We know what you anti-gun zealots want and were not playing that game.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
But it is funny, as an aside, that you are against reciprocity in gun licenses, but all for it in homo marriage licenses. Jussayin.  *****rollingeyes*****

Since when does a gay couple's desire to marry place you or anyone else in potential danger?   

Public safety is traditionally a local matter.  What exposes you to arrest for drunk driving in Montana may not expose you to arrest in Pennsylvania (or vice versa).   

Yes, marriage laws have also traditionally been a state matter.  But the foundation of gay marriage rights is the equal protection of the law as guaranteed by the 14th amendment.   Montana has to recognize gay marriages because it recognizes straight marriage.  Equal protection.   If Montana wanted to refuse to provide any benefits or official recognition of marriage altogether (gay or straight) it could do so.   But it cannot provide valuable benefits and protections for straight couples but not for gay couples.  Equal protection.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline driftdiver

Since when does a gay couple's desire to marry place you or anyone else in potential danger?   

Public safety is traditionally a local matter.  What exposes you to arrest for drunk driving in Montana may not expose you to arrest in Pennsylvania (or vice versa).   

Yes, marriage laws have also traditionally been a state matter.  But the foundation of gay marriage rights is the equal protection of the law as guaranteed by the 14th amendment.   Montana has to recognize gay marriages because it recognizes straight marriage.  Equal protection.   If Montana wanted to refuse to provide any benefits or official recognition of marriage altogether (gay or straight) it could do so.   But it cannot provide valuable benefits and protections for straight couples but not for gay couples.  Equal protection.   

@Jazzhead
Equal protection eh?   So any woman could marry any man, or any man could marry any woman.

Sounds like it was equal

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead
Thats right, we're smarter then they were.  We know what you anti-gun zealots want and were not playing that game.

I'm not an anti-gun zealot.  But I recognize the selfishness of both sides' extremist positions.   I want to preserve the RKBA while addressing the epidemic of gun violence through efficacious, reasonable laws.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead
Equal protection eh?   So any woman could marry any man, or any man could marry any woman.

Sounds like it was equal

Not in the eyes of the law.  But I'm not going to further derail this thread. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
So write your damn laws in Philadelphia FOR Philadelphia and leave Montana the hell alone. How is that so hard?

This is where he launches into his lecture about respecting "states' rights," then continues with his argument in favor of a Federal gun registration. *****rollingeyes*****
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline driftdiver

I'm not an anti-gun zealot.  But I recognize the selfishness of both sides' extremist positions.   I want to preserve the RKBA while addressing the epidemic of gun violence through efficacious, reasonable laws.

@Jazzhead
Yeah we've heard that before.  It was a lie then and its a lie now.

BTW, owning a firearm is not an extremist position.   Do you also seek to demonize women for voting or black people for not being slaves?   I mean it seems you have a problem with the Constitution.  Guess that makes you the extremist.

Offline roamer_1

We are not Australia.

Yeah, Because we don't have gun registries.

Offline driftdiver

Not in the eyes of the law.  But I'm not going to further derail this thread.

@Jazzhead
An out of control judiciary and a 'living' Constitution most certainly are pertinent to this thread.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
We are not Australia.

Power thirsty bureaucrats are the same all over the world.  Your denial of the comparison is invalid.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

All that doesn't matter. The reciprocity law is on point and without exception. If there is an exception, it would be in the redefining of marriage. The licensing of CCW has not been redefined, nor the R2KBA.

Offline roamer_1

We don't have any such epidemic here. So make your laws for yourself and quit trying to jam them down our throats federally.

Offline driftdiver

We don't have any such epidemic here. So make your laws for yourself and quit trying to jam them down our throats federally.

@roamer_1
Its like he's playing buzzword bingo.   Where he gets points for every use of talking point words.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
But we're all part of the same nation.   

No we are not.

We no longer agree on fundamentals to peacefully coexist for much longer.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline roamer_1

This is where he launches into his lecture about respecting "states' rights," then continues with his argument in favor of a Federal gun registration. *****rollingeyes*****

Yeah. he loves jamming his values down other folks throats. Let them eat cake (That was a 'Bake the Damn Cake pun, yes it was). .

Offline Suppressed

@Suppressed

Sure they do.

@driftdiver

Would you please provide a citation for such a wild claim?

For murder, here are the stats from the FBI UCR for 2016:
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/table-12

For US, including DC and USVI:
Total murders was   15,070
Total firearm murders was   11,004
Total knife murders was    1,604

I don't think there's a huge number of accidental knife deaths compared to firearms (I'll let you look that up), and 60% of firearm deaths are suicide, and I don't think there are thousands upon thousands of knife suicides.

Are you trying to say that there's a lot more utility in using a knife for self-defense than a gun?  If not, then where are all these invisible knife deaths you're claiming?

Knives don't "kill a lot more people then [sic] guns" in the US, unless you're being silly and saying that you meant that knives kill a lot more people than knives kill guns.

Besides, guns and knives don't kill people....people and bump stocks kill people (at least, according to the NRA)}.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

@driftdiver

Would you please provide a citation for such a wild claim?

For murder, here are the stats from the FBI UCR for 2016:
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/table-12

For US, including DC and USVI:
Total murders was   15,070
Total firearm murders was   11,004
Total knife murders was    1,604

I don't think there's a huge number of accidental knife deaths compared to firearms (I'll let you look that up), and 60% of firearm deaths are suicide, and I don't think there are thousands upon thousands of knife suicides.

Are you trying to say that there's a lot more utility in using a knife for self-defense than a gun?  If not, then where are all these invisible knife deaths you're claiming?

Knives don't "kill a lot more people then [sic] guns" in the US, unless you're being silly and saying that you meant that knives kill a lot more people than knives kill guns.

Besides, guns and knives don't kill people....people and bump stocks kill people (at least, according to the NRA)}.

@Suppressed
I was referring to assault rifles since that is the subject of this thread.

And yes more people are murdered with knives then with assault rifles or actually any rifle.

Offline RoosGirl

Even though Dick's advertises themselves as sellers of Sporting Goods and guns, they shouldn't be forced to sell things they find morally repugnant.  "How can one disagree with that?"

I see what you did there.   888high58888

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I see what you did there.   888high58888

Shhh!

(Last time I did the high-five thing I got hit with a frying pan.... **nononono* )
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

Shhh!

(Last time I did the high-five thing I got hit with a frying pan.... **nononono* )

Maybe you should be more discerning with who you are high fiving.   :whistle:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My main complaint against them is I went in a couple weeks ago to buy a Henry 45/70 and they were sold out.

Henry Rifle 45-70 loads

I asked Henry rifle technical representative what loads their rifle was designed to handle - those for the old Springfield Trapdoors, the lever actions like the Win 1886 or the Ruger#1 falling blocks actions? The response was any manufactured load with bullets of 405 grains or less. So I sent him the page from Hodgdon reloading data showing loads for the Ruger#1 or equivalent with loads under 405 grains, some of which reach 50,000 cup and asked would these be acceptable. The response was we do not recommend reloads and will not therefore comment on those but it is safe to use any manufactured load with bullets of 405 grains or less.

I guess I knew what their response would be, but I still dislike their attorneys as all the manufacturers know reloads will be used and don't care enough about the safety of their customers to give us pertinent specs for the rifles or even refer us to the generally used reloading data which would keep us safe assuming we follow the data correctly.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/137160-henry-rifle-45-70-loads.html

I've loaded for several different 45/70 rifles that would handle differing pressures safely.

I have not been able to discern the save pressure level for the Henry.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Maybe you should be more discerning with who you are high fiving.   :whistle:

And when... **nononono*
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead
An out of control judiciary and a 'living' Constitution most certainly are pertinent to this thread.

An out of control judiciary?   You should thank your lucky stars for the Heller opinion.  It was the first time in 200 years that the Court acknowledged the Constitution's protection of an individual RKBA,  outside the militia context of the 2A.   Your individual right to self defense is the PRODUCT of a "living Constitution"! 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
An out of control judiciary?   You should thank your lucky stars for the Heller opinion.  It was the first time in 200 years that the Court acknowledged the Constitution's protection of an individual RKBA,  outside the militia context of the 2A.   Your individual right to self defense is the PRODUCT of a "living Constitution"!

All rights flow from the barrel of a gavel. 
I will NOT comply.