Author Topic: Baltimore Is Begging Feds To Step In To Restore Law And Order  (Read 8488 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Baltimore Is Begging Feds To Step In To Restore Law And Order
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 05:14:34 pm »
I don't disagree.  But rangerrebew effectively told the victims of crime in Baltimore to "eat sh#t".    That's what I was reacting to.   I express no opinion whether federal assistance is warranted in Baltimore;  I note that NYC has as leftist a mayor as anyone in the country (Comrade Bill), yet its crime still keeps going down.   I suspect that Baltimore's problems are peculiar to Baltimore.  But that doesn't excuse one telling the victims of such crime to "eat sh#t".   

I think that's an unfair characterization.  What he actually said was this:

She created the crap filled bed Baltimore is sleeping in with her Social Justice, racist ideas and now she wants help.  My reply:  eat sh#t.

He was clearly directing the "eat sh#t" comment at the mayor herself, not at the victims.  You might say that end result of denying her request is that the victims won't get federal help, but that's not same as directing "eat sh#t" at the victims themselves.   After all, the net effect of what I said (to which you responded "I don't disagree"), puts the victims in the exact same place as what @rangerrebew said.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 07:53:41 pm »
They're war zones because of the War on (some) Drugs.   Black markets encourage gangs and turf wars.
What? Don't you think they'll riot to knock over the local crack outlets?? They already loot liquor stores.

They are war zones because the people who live there either turn a blind eye to or actively participate in lawless activity, including looting, burning and murder. Don't blame the crime on the people fighting it. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 07:55:44 pm »
All part of the plan, proceeding on schedule

Create anarchy, blame and investigate the police, find imaginary racism, sexism, classism under every badge and discover the Local Cops can't be straightened out.

So they gotta call in the Feds.

To Federalize ALL policing in America.
Nailed it!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 08:05:19 pm »
All part of the plan, proceeding on schedule

Create anarchy, blame and investigate the police, find imaginary racism, sexism, classism under every badge and discover the Local Cops can't be straightened out.

So they gotta call in the Feds.

To Federalize ALL policing in America.

In reality, I'm sure the officials in the states and cities wouldn't mind not paying for the police anymore.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 08:20:58 pm »
What do cities with the highest crime rate have in common?

No amount of improved law enforcement, no ending of the War on Drugs;

...changes the underlying, demographics:  Average IQ is 85, like it or not.

For writing this scientific result in books, Charles Murray is persona non grata on campuses, in this enlightened age.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 08:31:31 pm »

In reality, I'm sure the officials in the states and cities wouldn't mind not paying for the police anymore.
You actually believe that officials of the states and cities pay for police?

Do you have any comprehension on who funds government? 

Hint: it ain't them.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 08:31:44 pm »

For writing this scientific result in books, Charles Murray is persona non grata on campuses, in this enlightened age.

Another good reason for legalizing and monitoring drugs.  It would change society totally.  Some of the most dangerous and addictive drugs are already legal and available by prescription, as Oxycodone, etc.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2017, 08:38:47 pm »
Is this the sort of cruelty that passes for "conservative" comment these days?   What of the victims of such violence?   

A recognition that a problem is unsolvable with the defectively programed individuals involved is pragmatism.   One would think that you who often advocates pragmatism would be in favor of it. 

It is a tragedy that some people will be victims,   but it is also inevitable when you are dealing with a large population of people who have been programed with incorrect ideas.

It may be a tragedy,  but that does not make the problem solvable by a suitable application of concern. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2017, 08:44:40 pm »
I suspect that Baltimore's problems are peculiar to Baltimore. 

Peculiar to Baltimore?   I hope you are kidding.   These problems are universal in many different big City urban blights.   The exact problems with which Baltimore are dealing are also being experienced in Detroit,  Los Angeles,  Chicago,  Atlanta,  and so forth. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2017, 08:47:26 pm »
They're war zones because of the War on (some) Drugs. 

No,  that isn't it.   And no,  there isn't a "War on Drugs."   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2017, 08:49:02 pm »
There are a lot of good arguments for legalizing all drugs.  I think it would be a good thing.

I would like to hear one or two of these "good" arguments for legalizing drugs. 

I know of a pretty good argument for why it is a horribly bad idea. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 08:51:59 pm »

I'm familiar with Murray's theories and they are frightening.  But there are so many minorities who do accomplish wonderful things, it makes me think it is largely environment ... an environment we created with the Massa Great Society programs and others.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 08:57:04 pm »
Another good reason for legalizing and monitoring drugs.  It would change society totally. 

Why yes it would.  Last time it was tried it led to the deaths of over 100 million people.

Drugging a nation, the story of China and the opium curse; a personal investigation, during an extended tour, of the present conditions of the opium trade in China and its effects upon the nation

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 09:24:09 pm »
I'm familiar with Murray's theories and they are frightening.  But there are so many minorities who do accomplish wonderful things, it makes me think it is largely environment ... an environment we created with the Massa Great Society programs and others.
It is much more than theory; it is repeatable science. A bell curve has tails to both sides, accounting for the accomplishments you mention. You say "so many," but science says not so many. So do test scores, crime statistics, education accomplishments, earnings, costs to society, and inner city despair.

During most of history mankind labored with their bodies. Having a few very smart folks around was sufficient, and even very smart folks mostly did unskilled and low skilled tasks.

Over recent history unskilled and low skilled labor has been replaced by automation. The demand for such work has been filled by more reliable immigrants, first from Europe, China and Latin America. Guess who gets left out, when we encourage them to get a free college degree, but they can't do the work? We just dumb down the work, partly.

But while the education system goes along, the employers not so much. The encouragement of out of wedlock families has also contributed to a lawless culture. Drugs, alcohol, crime, prison, rinse and repeat.

Now the good news. The curve has tails to both sides; albeit centered one standard deviation to the left (at 85).

Murray's work has been largely substantiated by peer review, as well.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 09:52:02 pm »

That problem is every bit as much cultural as from any other cause.
(Nurture, or the lack thereof, even more than nature).

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 10:01:03 pm »
That problem is every bit as much cultural as from any other cause.
(Nurture, or the lack thereof, even more than nature).

It can all-100% of it- can be laid at the feet of Lyndon Baines Johnson and his  "great society"!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:08:52 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 10:23:02 pm »
Lennie Briscoe .... everyone's favorite cop... always with the quip.

Before he played detective Lennie Briscoe, Jerry Orbach played a defense attorney named Frank Lehrman on Law & Order.  Almost blew my mind when I caught the repeat.   ^-^

(BTW .. love the new avatar @Emjay)

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2017, 11:08:28 pm »
It can all-100% of it- can be laid at the feet of Lyndon Baines Johnson and his  "great society"!
Yep. I remember poor black people who worked hard, at hard jobs, to make ends meet and who lived humbly. We cut tobacco together, worked on construction jobs, baled hay and stacked tons of square bales, worked in a steel plant, even tonged oysters together, and it was all hard work.
There were well-to-do black farmers and business owners, too. 
They all worked hard so their kids could get an education and be somebody, graduate High School, maybe do a stint in the Service if they couldn't get a scholarship to Howard or their parents couldn't afford tuition (or they hadn't saved enough), and go to college on the GI Bill when their hitch was up.

Those were real gains, real dreams, and a few did it before 'acting white' became a community crime, fighting in 'the white man's war' became derided, and the best they could look forward to was becoming a rapper or a dealer (gangsta).

LBJ's funding of urban blacks moved many to the cities (rural blacks weren't having any of that, for the longest time), and now their progeny live in places festering with crime, where the man of the house was kicked out because the State wrote a better paycheck for not having him around, and the family was destroyed as a basic governmental unit. That destruction was what the Liberals wanted, and they created a monster.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2017, 12:06:35 am »
Yep. I remember poor black people who worked hard, at hard jobs, to make ends meet and who lived humbly. We cut tobacco together, worked on construction jobs, baled hay and stacked tons of square bales, worked in a steel plant, even tonged oysters together, and it was all hard work.
There were well-to-do black farmers and business owners, too. 
They all worked hard so their kids could get an education and be somebody, graduate High School, maybe do a stint in the Service if they couldn't get a scholarship to Howard or their parents couldn't afford tuition (or they hadn't saved enough), and go to college on the GI Bill when their hitch was up.

Those were real gains, real dreams, and a few did it before 'acting white' became a community crime, fighting in 'the white man's war' became derided, and the best they could look forward to was becoming a rapper or a dealer (gangsta).

LBJ's funding of urban blacks moved many to the cities (rural blacks weren't having any of that, for the longest time), and now their progeny live in places festering with crime, where the man of the house was kicked out because the State wrote a better paycheck for not having him around, and the family was destroyed as a basic governmental unit. That destruction was what the Liberals wanted, and they created a monster.

And all in the name of holding on to political power!  How did we get from the men who pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor to men like LBJ?

It's a sorry tale I tell you!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2017, 12:49:20 am »
And all in the name of holding on to political power!  How did we get from the men who pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor to men like LBJ?

It's a sorry tale I tell you!
It is, indeed, but to tell it would invoke the ire and tear down the idols of many. Suffice it to say, the trip has been made, we are where we are, and if we're going to get back to where we should be--where the founders started, minus an encumbrance or two (slavery, for one)--it is going to be a long, tough, slog. Barefoot. Through knee deep snow. Uphill...
There's a lot of work to be done, hopefully the folks who drop in and read this are willing and in it for the long haul. We are the resistance.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2017, 12:50:59 am »
It is, indeed, but to tell it would invoke the ire and tear down the idols of many. Suffice it to say, the trip has been made, we are where we are, and if we're going to get back to where we should be--where the founders started, minus an encumbrance or two (slavery, for one)--it is going to be a long, tough, slog. Barefoot. Through knee deep snow. Uphill...
There's a lot of work to be done, hopefully the folks who drop in and read this are willing and in it for the long haul. We are the resistance.

:amen:  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2017, 01:49:33 am »

I would like to hear one or two of these "good" arguments for legalizing drugs. 

I know of a pretty good argument for why it is a horribly bad idea.

The drug industry and its satellites are responsible for much of the crime in America.  The war on drugs is a joke.

Fighting illegal drugs takes us a huge percentage of law enforcement's resources.  Drugs have collateral damage in ruined lives and marriages.

Legalizing drugs would put drugs in the category of alcohol and tobacco. 

There is no evidence to suggest that legalizing drugs would result in more drug use.  There is a fear but no real evidence.  I wouldn't use drugs if I could buy them at Safeway.

Most people wouldn't.

It would literally change society in a good way.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2017, 01:52:01 am »
Some drugs are illegal because they are MUCH more profitable that way!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2017, 02:05:57 am »
The drug industry and its satellites are responsible for much of the crime in America.  The war on drugs is a joke.

Fighting illegal drugs takes us a huge percentage of law enforcement's resources.  Drugs have collateral damage in ruined lives and marriages.

Legalizing drugs would put drugs in the category of alcohol and tobacco. 

There is no evidence to suggest that legalizing drugs would result in more drug use.  There is a fear but no real evidence.  I wouldn't use drugs if I could buy them at Safeway.

Most people wouldn't.

It would literally change society in a good way.
The war on drugs didn't stop people from using them. A lot of people I knew back in my 'bad old days' are taking a dirtnap because of the depredations of the drugs they took in spite of them being illegal. They not only lost years off their lives, they lost productivity, and passed their bad habits on to others. Nope, I don't see anything good about it. Changing the law would not have kept them alive nor made them more productive members of society, nor would it have changed the self-imposed squalor they lived in. For the most part they stayed off the police radar, so the law was the least of their situation. The drugs were the part that caused dysfunction and eventually death.
We will disagree. I'm not for the loss of Rights that has accompanies the "war" on drugs, and I think all constitutional protections should apply for everyone. Serve a warrant. Secure the borders. Take down the dealers. Go by the rules. If there are no charges filed and no conviction, you can't take their stuff, money, whatever, and put a limit on how long it can be held (I'm against civil forfeiture, treating an inanimate object as if it has committed a crime, just by being.) But legalization is not the answer. I think an honest appraisal of those states just legalizing Marijuana, MJ, will show that to be true, despite getting all starry eyed over tax revenues.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2017, 02:32:45 am »
LMAO wrote:
"I predict Martial Law in many of these city's futures. I predict Federal troops will occupy these cities someday. You'll get the cries of "they need jobs, education, healthcare" and/or other leftwing nonsense but all that's been tried and theses cities are still war zones"

Demographics, sir.
Demographics.

And lawlessness and chaos becomes these cities' destiny as a result.

The only solution is to try to keep the violence (and those who propagate it) as confined as possible, and keep ourselves elsewhere.