Author Topic: Trump may aspire to be a strongman, but he's proving to be an exceptionally ineffectual president.  (Read 8159 times)

Offline Norm Lenhart

Yet more evidence that all good journalists already left the business.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
With all due respect, that doesn't fly.  Nukes don't belong in the hands of an amateur.  If Trumpists have to fall back on the "he just needs more experience" excuse when the going gets tough, then he is as bad as we skeptics have always pointed out.

Tell me, would you go under the knife of a heart surgeon who wasn't an absolute expert at her trade?  If you wouldn't, then why would you be willing to go under the metaphorical knife of a half-a$$ed president?

Carter, Reagan, George Bush...my gosh Clinton and Obama all amateurs....they may have been Gov's or Senators but they never had their hands on the nuclear button either and relied on hiring responsible and experienced advisors...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Norm Lenhart

With all due respect, that doesn't fly.  Nukes don't belong in the hands of an amateur.

I don't think Los Alamos ever produced a U.S. President. Until they do, then all presidents are amateurs when it comes to nukes by definition. Even Reagan. So in that respect, Trump, for all his faults, is no different than any who came before.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Yet more evidence that all good journalists already left the business.

Very likely no longer welcome these days!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Norm Lenhart

Very likely no longer welcome these days!

Wen I left nearing a decade ago, most were long gone already. By now I think only a masochist would remain.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Wen I left nearing a decade ago, most were long gone already. By now I think only a masochist would remain.

Did you ever encounter Iron Jack over at TOS?  His story is very similar.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline r9etb

All first term presidents are amateurs and rely on on the job training with the help of, hopefully, his learned and experienced Cabinet.

Some are more amateur than others.  The previous and current occupants of the Oval Office in particular.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Did you ever encounter Iron Jack over at TOS?  His story is very similar.

Name rings a faint bell. I might have once or twice. I try to forget TOS wasted almost 20 years of my political online life.

Offline libertybele

With all due respect, that doesn't fly.  Nukes don't belong in the hands of an amateur.  If Trumpists have to fall back on the "he just needs more experience" excuse when the going gets tough, then he is as bad as we skeptics have always pointed out.

Tell me, would you go under the knife of a heart surgeon who wasn't an absolute expert at her trade?  If you wouldn't, then why would you be willing to go under the metaphorical knife of a half-a$$ed president?

If we use your analogy of a heart surgeon; that expert heart surgeon didn't become an expert over night.  It took years of training and years of doing heart surgeries.  Granted, they may have left med school as the best and brightest, but becoming an expert is only learned by actually performing the surgeries over time.

Senators, governors, congressmen all gain political experience, but nothing prepares them for actually being president, then assuming the position.  Electing someone president with zero political experience is a huge gamble.  With Trump that has always been my concern; he had absolutely no political experience.  Running a business and running a country are two different things.

What I find ridiculous is making a comment that after 3 weeks of taking office President Trump is ineffective.  Maybe I missed it but what did Bammy actually do in 3 weeks?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Name rings a faint bell. I might have once or twice. I try to forget TOS wasted almost 20 years of my political online life.

He's the former editor of a major Mid-West newspaper now lives in Omaha and works for a tech. firm.

REALLY good guy!  I'm sure you would like him!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

If we use your analogy of a heart surgeon; that expert heart surgeon didn't become an expert over night.  It took years of training and years of doing heart surgeries.  Granted, they may have left med school as the best and brightest, but becoming an expert is only learned by actually performing the surgeries over time.

Senators, governors, congressmen all gain political experience, but nothing prepares them for actually being president, then assuming the position.  Electing someone president with zero political experience is a huge gamble.  With Trump that has always been my concern; he had absolutely no political experience.  Running a business and running a country are two different things.

What I find ridiculous is making a comment that after 3 weeks of taking office President Trump is ineffective.  Maybe I missed it but what did Bammy actually do in 3 weeks?

Then send the sonofabitch back for training!  You don't let a first year medical resident start doing open heart surgery precisely because he doesn't know what he's doing.  The same should go for POTUS - if you don't know what you're doing you have no business being POTUS.

So stop feeding me this sh*t.  Y'all elected a half-a$$ed newbie and you don't even have the courage, honesty, or honor to admit to it.

Offline JustPassinThru

@JustPassinThru

Gee, I didn't realize the POTUS was supposed to be a junior JV level position where amateurs are entitled to learn on the job.

I'm sorry that you have such low expectations for the person who fills the most important office in the country, if not the world.

I, however, expect competence out of the door from the person who presumes to be POTUS material.  There are no mulligans or do-overs when it comes to things like nuclear weapons, so the person who becomes the POTUS doesn't get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his or her competence.

There is nothing wrong with hiring a janitor and expecting him to be a competent janitor from day 1.  The same goes for the POTUS.

What did you expect?  Magic?

More likely...you expected the Know-Nothing Voter would DEMAND magic and that your side, whichever of the hostile sides it is...could feed that disillusionment, fan it into anger.

The higher up the supervisor, the longer it takes to show significant change.  Lee Iacocca worked for three years at Chrysler before they showed a profit.  Once they did, they were the smallest, but the most-profitable, of the major motor manufacturers.

Allen Mulally was hired by Ford in similar dire straits.  Took him FOUR years to turn the company around.  The corporate culture of backstabbing had to be abolished; credit established and then drawn on; everything possible had to be strategically mortgaged to pay the costs of cutting overhead.

YEARS.

You want to goad the idiots into expecting miraculous change in 23 days.  It took Reagan's IMMEDIATE changes TWO YEARS to show improvement.  I'll give Trump that long - which is only reasonable since there's not another Presidential election for four years.

****slapping

Offline endicom

Carter, Reagan, George Bush...my gosh Clinton and Obama all amateurs....they may have been Gov's or Senators but they never had their hands on the nuclear button either and relied on hiring responsible and experienced advisors...

According to Robert McNamara, he told JFK that he didn't think he had the background to be Secretary of Defense. JFK's reply was that there is no training for president, either. And, of course, that McNamara sucked is beside the point.

Oceander

What did you expect?  Magic?

More likely...you expected the Know-Nothing Voter would DEMAND magic and that your side, whichever of the hostile sides it is...could feed that disillusionment, fan it into anger.

The higher up the supervisor, the longer it takes to show significant change.  Lee Iacocca worked for three years at Chrysler before they showed a profit.  Once they did, they were the smallest, but the most-profitable, of the major motor manufacturers.

Allen Mulally was hired by Ford in similar dire straits.  Took him FOUR years to turn the company around.  The corporate culture of backstabbing had to be abolished; credit established and then drawn on; everything possible had to be strategically mortgaged to pay the costs of cutting overhead.

YEARS.

You want to goad the idiots into expecting miraculous change in 23 days.  It took Reagan's IMMEDIATE changes TWO YEARS to show improvement.  I'll give Trump that long - which is only reasonable since there's not another Presidential election for four years.

****slapping

I expect competency.  I expected it from Obama and pointed it out when he failed to show it.  I hold Trump to the same standard.  I'm sorry if you cannot deal with that.  Trump and Trumpists - incompetence loves company.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:45:51 am by Oceander »

Offline r9etb

So stop feeding me this sh*t.  Y'all elected a half-a$$ed newbie and you don't even have the courage, honesty, or honor to admit to it.

Readiness for being president is a matter of character, "governing mindset," and experience. 

Neither Trump, nor Obama before him, have/had the character, mindset, or experience for the job.

Reagan was the best example of a man who had all three.

Offline JustPassinThru

I expect competency.  I expected it from Obama and pointed it out when he failed to show it.  I hold Trump to the same standard.  I'm sorry if you cannot deal with that.  Trump and Trumpists - incompetence loves company.

You couldn't possibly NOT point out Soetoro's complete failures and keep any credibility.  We knew he'd fail from Day 1, because of what he was and what he advocated, and who he attacked, with his punk-ish ankle-biting, the whole time he was the little boy in the Big Chair...

...but we couldn't point to anything and PROVE it on Day 23.  Nor can you.

You can go back, and see my posts, and that I was and am singularly unimpressed with Trump's life-qualifications.  But for better or worse, he won; he's got some heavyweights on his team; and NOTHING is proven at this point, except how vicious, and how well-funded, are the Rioting Left; and how inconsistent their outrages.

Anything else is either conjecture, wishful thinking, or abuse of the gullible and ignorant.

22222frying pan

Offline endicom

Then send the sonofabitch back for training!  You don't let a first year medical resident start doing open heart surgery precisely because he doesn't know what he's doing.  The same should go for POTUS - if you don't know what you're doing you have no business being POTUS.

You are one excitable fella.

Oceander

You are one excitable fella.

Indeed I am when it comes to the competence of the guy with his fingers on the nukes.  I'm sorry if my caring about the competence of the POTUS offends you so much.

Offline JustPassinThru

The alternative would have been exponentially WORSE.

The election is over.  So stop feeding us this sh*t.

Oceander

You couldn't possibly NOT point out Soetoro's complete failures and keep any credibility.  We knew he'd fail from Day 1, because of what he was and what he advocated, and who he attacked, with his punk-ish ankle-biting, the whole time he was the little boy in the Big Chair...

...but we couldn't point to anything and PROVE it on Day 23.  Nor can you.

You can go back, and see my posts, and that I was and am singularly unimpressed with Trump's life-qualifications.  But for better or worse, he won; he's got some heavyweights on his team; and NOTHING is proven at this point, except how vicious, and how well-funded, are the Rioting Left; and how inconsistent their outrages.

Anything else is either conjecture, wishful thinking, or abuse of the gullible and ignorant.

22222frying pan

Funny, you couldn't point out Obama's essential incompetence on day 23, but we can point out Trump's incompetence on Day 23.  I think that's second cousin to damning with faint praise.

Offline JustPassinThru

Indeed I am when it comes to the competence of the guy with his fingers on the nukes.  I'm sorry if my caring about the competence of the POTUS offends you so much.

And how would you feel with an indescribably-corrupt, bought-and-paid-for, morally-bankrupt, old woman dying of Parkinsons...who even when young and healthy and in her prime, showed moral baseness, contempt for others and complete incompetence in her many previous prominent roles?

You pick from the choices you have.  Not the choices you wish you had.

Offline JustPassinThru

Funny, you couldn't point out Obama's essential incompetence on day 23, but we can point out Trump's incompetence on Day 23.  I think that's second cousin to damning with faint praise.

I wasn't here eight years ago, and probably neither was this site.

I was over at NoPC, and I pointed out the folly of electing a retarded Alinskyite...plenty.

Offline libertybele

Hold your horses Ocean ... Don't blame me, I voted for Cruz! 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

The alternative would have been exponentially WORSE.

The election is over.  So stop feeding us this sh*t.

Just because the election is over does not mean I cannot critique the person who won that election.  That is the very definition of groupthink, the sort that cults of personality engage in.

Trump's winning the election does not insulate him from criticism.  I'm sorry you think otherwise.

Offline JustPassinThru

It's obvious you're not rational on the subject, much less open-minded. 

I'm not interested in what you WANT.  Listen, I don't care if he, like his predecessor, is clinically mentally retarded.

I want the nation to survive.  Or, more accurately, I want the PEOPLE of this nation to do well.

Any way that happens.  Right now, Trump has done nothing that would aim him towards failure - and he's being PULLED into disaster by crazed Elitists on the Imperial Court system.  Nor has anything he's done, administratively, caused any failure.

And there have been NO legislative pushes - because the RINOs want to show how much THEY hate Trump.

That, if it will continue, will be a cause of failure.  Trump, given his lead, could fail from what he wants to do - Tariffs, if he gets them, will recreate the Great Depression.  BUT THEY AREN'T EVEN ON THE TABLE YET.

What we have is this RINO push towards taxing Carbon.  THAT is suicidal; and Shrub, or any of the other RINO ciphers, would have been on it as fast or faster. 

But what I'm getting from you is a CHEERING...FOR failure.