Author Topic: Trump gives America's 'poorest white town' hope  (Read 7126 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump gives America's 'poorest white town' hope
« on: February 07, 2017, 09:31:40 pm »
Trump gives America's 'poorest white town' hope
 by Heather Long   @byHeatherLong February 6, 2017: 7:48 AM ET

Donald Trump is already a hero to many in eastern Kentucky.

"I voted for Trump 100%," says Barbara Puckett, a 55-year-old mom, who lives in the small and friendly town of Beattyville. "It's the most hopeful I've been in a long time now that he's in there."

Trump won 81% of the vote in Beattyville. People here love that Trump doesn't "sugarcoat" anything. They feel he understands them, even though he's a billionaire.

"Donald Trump's got all the money he'll ever need," says Steve Mays, judge-executive for the county and life-long Beattyville resident. The 49-year-old says he's never been more excited about a president than he is now. "Trump will be a president for the common man."

What Trump will do for the little guy is on everyone's minds in Beattyville. The town earned the unfortunate distinction of being the "poorest white town in America" from 2008 to 2012. Depending on which metric you look at, it still ranks among the most impoverished in the country.

Continued: http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/06/news/economy/donald-trump-beattyville-kentucky/index.html?iid=ob_lockedrail_bottomlarge

geronl

Re: Trump gives America's 'poorest white town' hope
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:34:01 pm »
Sounds like the people of that town make a lot of bad choices, so par for the course.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 09:35:29 pm »
Sigh..............
No one can fix their lives but they themselves.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 09:40:45 pm »
Beattyville Kentucky's primary economic source is the local prison where most residents work. (after that, the local school system and mental health hospital).

They are not a mining town where a mine closed. They are not a manufacturing town.

They mostly support a prison and mental health hospital.

I wonder what they think Trump will do to increase business at a prison and mental health hospital?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 09:42:42 pm »
He's from the government and he's here to help.

Offline ABX

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 09:44:14 pm »
He's from the government and he's here to help.

They are just hoping for change.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 09:52:00 pm »
That's Appalachia,

All I can say is there are some very remote areas or poor areas of the country. Yes, people need to help themselves.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 09:54:36 pm »
Sounds like the people of that town make a lot of bad choices, so par for the course.

Nice personal insult of the good people of Beattyville.  Check out this comment I saw on another thread: 

Usually the first response to anything negative about Trump is a personal insult around here.

Now, take a look at the quote from your post above.  Do you see any similarities?   
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

geronl

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 10:07:28 pm »

Some change for Beattyville

geronl

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 10:10:55 pm »
Nice personal insult of the good people of Beattyville.

Is that a personal insult to a TBR member? That's not even a personal insult, it's an observation.

Calling a TBR member a moron, an idiot, a snowflake, a troll or unChristian because he or she is critical of Trump is vastly different. Not in any way similar.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 10:15:39 pm »

Yeah. Your totally right. It would be better if they voted for Hitlary.

BTW, I think it is great to get the Commie Pinko perspective here at TBR from fine posters like you.

geronl

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 10:18:24 pm »
Yeah. Your totally right. It would be better if they voted for Hitlary.

Wouldn't make much different, it's population is around 1,300. They'd each have to vote many times to make any appreciable difference.

geronl

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 10:22:00 pm »
I wonder what they think Trump will do to increase business at a prison and mental health hospital?

The Lee Adjustment Center no longer has any prisoners, maybe Trump will hire the Corrections Corporation of America to re-open it as a political prison?

This town seems very dependent on government/taxpayers

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 10:22:20 pm »
Nice personal insult of the good people of Beattyville.  Check out this comment I saw on another thread: 

Now, take a look at the quote from your post above.  Do you see any similarities?

At least the people of Beattyville saw fit to vote for Trump over Clinton.  In other words, a town where most people are on Food Stamps opted to vote for a guy that ran on the promise of implementing policies to put people to work - rather than vote for the shyster promising them stuff for free. 

I live in Eastern Kentucky, I know of Beattyville, but I'm not familiar with their particular circumstances.  A lot of small towns are dependent on coal employees to buy groceries, clothes, etc - believe me - almost every community in Eastern Ky has been negatively impacted by the Democrats destruction of the coal industry. 

As a native Appalachian, I can tell you that blacks are not the only ones that have been trapped on the Democrat Plantation for a long time.  Lyndon Johnson's and John F. Kennedy's legacy lives on here, sad to say. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

geronl

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 10:22:53 pm »
but they will always have the Woolly Worm Festival.

geronl

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 10:23:30 pm »
At least the people of Beattyville saw fit to vote for Trump over Clinton.  In other words, a town where most people are on Food Stamps opted to vote for a guy that ran on the promise of implementing policies to put people to work - rather than vote for the shyster promising them stuff for free. 

Trump is pro-welfare and pro-affirmative action

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 10:29:10 pm »
Trump is pro-welfare and pro-affirmative action

Opinions are not facts.   :boring:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 10:32:24 pm »
Until corporate America decides to invest in towns like Beattyville the way they used to in the 19th century, these problems will always exist.

There has to be a way to get the decent, middle-class careers to the people who desperately need them the most. It'll require a reassessment of "requirements" and "qualifications." It will also take diverse industries that both men and women can use: I know in my small town, there are people willing to stay here, but they can't find love. Then they find love out of town and, no matter what, they move away. The partners don't move here.

The problem is, other than perhaps direct government intervention (nationalized industries) I don't know what kind of help the government can be. Corporations have pretty much written off places like Beattyville as backwaters.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 10:39:01 pm »
Until corporate America decides to invest in towns like Beattyville the way they used to in the 19th century, these problems will always exist.

There has to be a way to get the decent, middle-class careers to the people who desperately need them the most. It'll require a reassessment of "requirements" and "qualifications." It will also take diverse industries that both men and women can use: I know in my small town, there are people willing to stay here, but they can't find love. Then they find love out of town and, no matter what, they move away. The partners don't move here.

The problem is, other than perhaps direct government intervention (nationalized industries) I don't know what kind of help the government can be. Corporations have pretty much written off places like Beattyville as backwaters.

Simply put, the people there will have to show the corporations that they will have a return on their investment by building something there. They won't do it out of the goodness of their heart if it results in a negative impact on other areas of the business (ie cash flow).

That is up to the people there, not the government. And corporations are under no obligation to move there.

I know of some places who have turned themselves around. In North Louisiana, a small town, similar to that one, created leaseable duck hunting land that became very profitable. Another town up in Arkansas renovated old factories to be call center space with a lower cost workforce than going to Little Rock.  There are cases like this happening all over, it just takes someone in the town with vision and leadership skills. They can't wait around for 'someone from the government who is here to help'.

Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 10:42:59 pm »
Opinions are not facts.   :boring:

That boy is full of the former and very little of the latter.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 10:59:31 pm »
Simply put, the people there will have to show the corporations that they will have a return on their investment by building something there. They won't do it out of the goodness of their heart if it results in a negative impact on other areas of the business (ie cash flow).

That is up to the people there, not the government. And corporations are under no obligation to move there.

I know of some places who have turned themselves around. In North Louisiana, a small town, similar to that one, created leaseable duck hunting land that became very profitable. Another town up in Arkansas renovated old factories to be call center space with a lower cost workforce than going to Little Rock.  There are cases like this happening all over, it just takes someone in the town with vision and leadership skills. They can't wait around for 'someone from the government who is here to help'.

Industry simply followed the modes of transportation away from small towns.

When every little town had a railroad passing through they could have small local industry. When the automobile came along they relied on decent roads for transportation. Then the interstates came along and pretty much ended small town industrialism.

Henry Ford did go out of his way to put small factories in small towns but eventually it became unprofitable.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:59:52 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 11:03:12 pm »

I think that, rather than waiting for a large corporation to come to town and bring plenty of good jobs with it - the people would be well-served if gov't would just get out of their way.  There are lots of fantastic craftspeople and some pretty beautiful local scenery, not to mention a very unique culture to show the world. 

I like the idea of more Mom & Pop business and less big business.  If one small business closes down, it has minimal impact - instead of the one huge employer closing down and leaving a ghost town. 

Having been self-employed for 26 years - gov't agencies and their never-ending taxes, fees, licenses, paperwork and stifling laws....not to mention the disastrous health insurance mandate.....I personally know of many business owners who shut their doors because of the growing restrictions, just not worth the trouble anymore.

This is even before Obama shut down much of the industry around here that was dependent on coal - without paying customers, the small businesses are forced to close too. 

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 11:57:53 pm »

What would be the incentive for any industry to locate in a remote place like Beattyville? Is there a large population with skilled or easily trainable workers? Probably not.
Large concerns will never locate to places like Beattyville. There are Beattyvilles in every state of the union. No large businesses are going to locate there.
The harsh fact remains that if people in Beattyville want a job, they'll have to go elsewhere. Like billions of people have done around the world since the dawn of civilization.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 12:20:23 am »
What would be the incentive for any industry to locate in a remote place like Beattyville? Is there a large population with skilled or easily trainable workers? Probably not.
Large concerns will never locate to places like Beattyville. There are Beattyvilles in every state of the union. No large businesses are going to locate there.
The harsh fact remains that if people in Beattyville want a job, they'll have to go elsewhere. Like billions of people have done around the world since the dawn of civilization.

My little town doesn't have any industry to speak of aside from farming. These days most people here landed here the same way I did. Jackson county is cheaper to live in but the pay is better across the county line in Washtenaw county.

The last time there was any industry that employed anyone it was seasonal. In the early 1900s Mexican migrants came to work the cucumber fields and cucumber seed was a big export. During the winter ice cut from the pond was shipped out.

Offline ABX

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 12:22:52 am »
I think that, rather than waiting for a large corporation to come to town and bring plenty of good jobs with it - the people would be well-served if gov't would just get out of their way.  There are lots of fantastic craftspeople and some pretty beautiful local scenery, not to mention a very unique culture to show the world. 

I like the idea of more Mom & Pop business and less big business.  If one small business closes down, it has minimal impact - instead of the one huge employer closing down and leaving a ghost town. 

I can think of a lot of small towns that have gone this route too. It may even be a good time as 'hipster' culture (love it or hate it) is making craft popular again.