Author Topic: Trump hangs portrait of Andrew Jackson in Oval Office  (Read 3508 times)

Online corbe

Re: Trump hangs portrait of Andrew Jackson in Oval Office
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 03:40:32 am »
Seems some only look at the dark side of people.

How about some good quotes from a man who changed the Presidency forever?

Take time to deliberate; but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in.

One man with courage makes a majority.

It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of government to their own selfish purposes.

Andrew practiced what he preached.

@IsailedawayfromFR   I have admitted I'm bias, ol' Hickory I can do without.
   I tried to find why Reagan put his portrait up, with no success, I'm certainly not denying he did this, guess I would have to read his Biography again to catch that. 

I don't hate Trump (anymore), just pointing out Historical facts about Jackson.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 03:48:34 am »
     I can't atone for Indian atrocities, but, as far as they were concerned they were being invaded and their land taken, they were certainly more savage than Christian.

I am certainly not advocating that President Jackson liked Black people either.

You are correct, they were Creek when Columbus arrived and were mainly in Georgia and Alabama but some wound up in present day Florida as (Southern) tribes always grow and expand territory. 

the way I heard it, and my recollection could be fuzzy, 2/3 of the Seminole Tribe wound up in Oklahoma by way of the Trail of Tears, and they are the ones that negotiated that treaty because the TRUCE they had with the US Government was abrogated when they sided with the Confederacy.

The FLORIDA Seminoles have never signed a Peace Treaty with the US Govt.

I read allot at that Link you provided, very interesting, Thank You-it says that Treaty was never Ratified.

A copy of this agreement, which has never been ratified, is found in an Appendix to the Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs for 1865, with the report of the negotiating commissioners, which copy has been reproduced in the appendix to this compilation, post, p. 1050.

edited to ping @Fantom

Let me say, I do appreciate your honest and decent reply. I appreciate such, as I do not hold any "noble" views of either side in historical  perspective, rather a "Nature of Man" viewpoint.

As to truth ..or such understanding as may be. Last first as is my wont.

Ratification which you posted from the site.. I have no clue why it is posted as such, as the very header of the treaty states....TREATY WITH THE SEMINOLE, 1866.

Mar. 21, 1866. | 14 Stats., 755. | Ratified, July 19, 1866. | Proclamed, Aug. 16, 1866.
Note too that the posted info you made from that site says "1865".

As for Jackson, I doubt he hated Indians or Blacks.. anymore than likewise. Just saw a solution to a problem for both. Independent lands... he did not know that the USA would encompass the whole land soon enough.

Not just "southern tribes".. all tribes... including Whites.

Anywho, the Seminole were not an "aboriginal" Tribe, they were comprised of renegade outcasts of the Creek, Black runaway slaves and White outlaws. As such they hardy comprise a legitimate ..original Tribal/Nation.

Which sets a precedence that any group of People in the U.S. can establish itself as a "Tribe", with self governance.

As for the real ..such as it was "Trail of Tears".  It was some of the Cherokee who where forcibly removed, in the dead of winter, when they violated the Treaty of Echota.

@corbe

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online corbe

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 03:52:22 am »
  Thank You for the Education @Fantom - I stand corrected and in debt to your knowledge and your willingness to share it.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 04:07:24 am »
  Thank You for the Education @Fantom - I stand corrected and in debt to your knowledge and your willingness to share it.

Opinion and knowledge are two different things. Certainly willing to entertain either Corbe. Anyways, I hope we can always engage in an open discourse.

Peace.

@corbe
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 04:09:36 am »
Two of my grandfathers were murdered by Indians, both sneak attacks.

George Ricker, 1706 New Hampshire (with brother Maturin Ricker)

http://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/The_brothers_who_emigrated_to_the_USA_and_were_killed_by_Indians

Athe Meeks, 1812 Indiana

https://www.geni.com/people/Athe-Meeks/6000000013811571021

I have no animosity towards Indians, nor do I place them on pedestals

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online corbe

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2017, 04:16:34 am »
Opinion and knowledge are two different things. Certainly willing to entertain either Corbe. Anyways, I hope we can always engage in an open discourse.

Peace.

@corbe

@Fantom

I easily discerned between your Opinion and your Knowledge of the topic of discussion, I certainly remember the origins of the original Seminole Tribe and it was as you described.

:beer: anytime

Offline Fantom

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2017, 04:27:10 am »
@Fantom

I easily discerned between your Opinion and your Knowledge of the topic of discussion, I certainly remember the origins of the original Seminole Tribe and it was as you described.

:beer: anytime

@corbe

Kool (yes, I know that dates me)   :beer:

Anyways, we can both "hate" on the Cherokee.... they are the Dastards who "spoke with forked tounge" ;) and Treated away lands in dispute with the Creek they held no right to.

Danial Boone had no end of problems with that!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:34:08 am by Fantom »

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2017, 05:11:54 am »

My bad @corbe  it was not Creek/Cherokee lands in dispute that the Cherokee were falsely treating with. 

http://www.tolatsga.org/Cherokee2.html

Such is my decade old memory on this.

Frederick Douglass

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 05:22:56 am »
   It is a very odd choice, considering he is purported to be the father of the Democratic Party.  Refreshing my memory reading his Bio on Wikipedia, I see many, many similarities between the two. Jackson never liked brown people either.  jk

And let's not forget the trail of tears...one of America's darkest most shameful stories.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online libertybele

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2017, 12:08:58 pm »
I still think there are more pressing issues than what portrait President Trump hangs in the oval office for goodness sake; heck Michelle's tribal artwork didn't get nearly the attention.   :whistle:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:10:01 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2017, 01:41:03 pm »
   @IsailedawayfromFR   I have admitted I'm bias, ol' Hickory I can do without.
   I tried to find why Reagan put his portrait up, with no success, I'm certainly not denying he did this, guess I would have to read his Biography again to catch that. 

I don't hate Trump (anymore), just pointing out Historical facts about Jackson.
That's fine, we all have our heroes.

I like Jackson as he got us out of the cartel of the original 13 colonies being the only way to pick a President and exemplified the American spirit of ruggedness which was imperative as we became a greatly expanding nation.

He was also a military guy and we need to keep these guys close as they protect our freedoms.  Those in the military know this very well/.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online corbe

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 03:55:40 pm »

My bad @corbe  it was not Creek/Cherokee lands in dispute that the Cherokee were falsely treating with. 

http://www.tolatsga.org/Cherokee2.html

Such is my decade old memory on this.

@Fantom There is only one thing better than waking up to these cantankerous, argumentative friends I have made here and that is reading the History you have discovered and deemed important enough to share.  Again, I do appreciate it and learn so much that I too, had already forgotten. 
   I hope you are a College Professor somewhere enlightening your students to this vast repository of Knowledge.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 03:56:54 pm by corbe »