Author Topic: Trump's Curious Habit of Denigrating Fellow Republicans  (Read 1966 times)

Offline sinkspur

Trump's Curious Habit of Denigrating Fellow Republicans
« on: July 27, 2016, 01:08:54 pm »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/trumps-curious-habit-of-denigrating-fellow-republicans/article/2003520

He'd fit right in at the Democratic convention.

8:39 AM, JUL 27, 2016 |

By STEPHEN F. HAYES

Donald Trump, who last week accepted the presidential nomination of the Republican party, suggested in an interview Tuesday with Bill O'Reilly that Republicans don't like to help people. Trump made the claim during a discussion of the minimum wage, in which he said he'd both maintain the minimum wage and would raise it to $10 per hour.

Trump, on the federal minimum wage:

"I would leave it and raise it somewhat. You need to help people. And I know it's not very Republican to say, but you need to help people," he said. "I would say $10—but with the understanding that somebody like me is going to bring back jobs. I don't want people in that $10 category for very long. But the thing is, Bill—let the states make the deal, and they're not doing that for the most part."

In his assessment of Republicans, Trump's comments would fit in here at the Democratic National Convention, where dishonest stereotypes of Republicans are common. In a normal election year, it would be odd to hear the party nominee disparage those who voted for him. But it's 2016, and the Republican nominee is Donald Trump.

Trump's claim—like so many of his claims—isn't true. A poll released earlier this year by the Associated Press found that 62 percent of Republicans said that "reducing poverty" was "very" or "extremely" important.

It ought to go without saying that Republicans are not opposed to helping people. Conservative intellectuals like Arthur Brooks and Michael Novak have devoted much of their public lives to understanding how market forces can improve the lives of the poor. Republican politicians like Paul Ryan and Tim Scott, following in the footsteps of Jack Kemp, have championed innovative policies to alleviate the suffering of those who need "help" without creating additional dependency on government.

Americans of all kinds devote countless hours and significant resources to helping the poor. This includes Republicans in church groups that travel to Appalachia to build houses or serve in inner city soup kitchens. It includes Republicans in civic groups—Kiwanis, Rotary, Lions Clubs—who host fundraisers to collect money to help those less fortunate. It includes Republican individuals who quickly set up a GoFundMe page for a friend or acquaintance who can't pay his or her medical bills or contribute to help a stranger who has suffered a family tragedy or lost a job.

In 2012, the Chronicle of Philanthropy analyzed tax data and found that red states were considerably more generous with their charitable giving than blue states. In her analysis, Chronicle editor Stacy Palmer cited political ideology and religion and two key factors. "Not to be too simplistic about it, but if you believe that government should take care of basic social services, then you're going to go that way," Palmer told the International Business Times. "If you think charities should take care of things, and not government, then you're probably going to give more generously to charity." In addition, the most generous states are states with high concentrations of religious citizens (Utah, Mississippi) and the least generous are those with lower concentrations (Vermont).

Trump likes to contrast himself from other Republicans—or caricatures of other Republicans. He has repeatedly promised that he will not let Americans "die in the streets" because they don't have health care coverage. He's suggested that his new party is filled with warmongers, while he's a sober analyst of global affairs. Last week in his RNC convention speech, he declared that he'd seek to protect gay and lesbian Americans from jihadist terror as president. When his audience applauded, he said: "And I have to say as a Republican, it is so nice to hear you cheering for what I just said."

Was Trump under the impression that most Republicans would not want to protect gays and lesbians from ISIS?

Republicans on Capitol Hill and elsewhere are still holding out hope that Trump will change and become more conservative and maybe more presidential. It's not happening: He is who he is—and that includes an unfair critic of his fellow Republicans.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

Re: Trump's Curious Habit of Denigrating Fellow Republicans
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 01:11:21 pm »
A lot of the RNC speakers like Ivanka and Thiel would easily fit in the Dem convention

geronl

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 01:13:47 pm »
+1

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 01:16:58 pm »
Different day, same pile.

He should tell his kids to immediately raise the wages of the companies they are running for him. Why would he not do that?

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 01:20:24 pm »
A lot of the RNC speakers like Ivanka and Thiel would easily fit in the Dem convention

Ivanka talked about equal pay for women in her speech. On "other sites" it's interpreted that she's just trying to attract crossover votes. Wouldn't that be lying to get votes? But I digress, yes her speech would have fit in well at the DNC.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 01:27:25 pm »
What do you mean, "fellow" Republicans?
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 01:32:45 pm »

Exactly!

Offline plewis1250

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 01:36:58 pm »
Donald Trump is a disgusting human being.

Where are his defenders on this crap?
Why not defend his push for increasing minimum wage?
What's next? The right to choose kill your baby? Maybe he'll advocate a stronger federal government?

Every single supporter of this JOKE should be exiled from politics. They have no business selecting a leader when they cannot see what is clear as clear can be on whom someone is.

This man did not fool all of us, only the proles whom barely engaged who he is. They used the empty shell that he is to reflect their desires. They damned this country into this false binary decision in November.

They damned this country into President Hillary Clinton.

I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh come September/October when this clown reverses course on the wall... Maybe he'll be fine for the illegals to stay here, maybe even obtain citizenship...

Just watch, mark my words, no matter who you are, he will betray you before the end of the election cycle. The only question is, are your eyes open to see it, or will your head be shoved so far up who knows where you will accept it as "political posturing"... ?
The pecking order: Christian, American, Conservative

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 01:39:02 pm »
Trump is the perfect uniparty hybrid - his policies move easily between republican and democrat depending upon the situation.

I'm sure his supporters can tell us why this is actually a superior trait.

geronl

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 01:40:20 pm »
Donald Trump is a disgusting human being.

Maybe he'll advocate a stronger federal government?

He has been doing that all along.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 01:45:04 pm »

Donald Trump denigrates fellow Republicans?  :silly:

Well, he's got nothing on the folks here at TBR, who throw under the bus every republican they ever supported! What reason? Because that republican happened to throw their support behind the republican nominee, Donald Trump. Jeff Sessions and Sarah Palin among many many others.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 01:47:02 pm »
I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh come September/October when this clown reverses course on the wall... Maybe he'll be fine for the illegals to stay here, maybe even obtain citizenship...

Or islam is great

or we need more immigrants to save the economy

or Hillary will make a fine president... ad infinitum...

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 01:47:17 pm »

A Republican?

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 01:54:40 pm »

Well, he's got nothing on the folks here at TBR, who throw under the bus every republican they ever supported! What reason? Because that republican happened to throw their support behind the republican nominee, Donald Trump. Jeff Sessions and Sarah Palin among many many others.

The people on this site throw under the bus those who abandon principle.

Trump throws under the bus anyone who does not genuflect to him.  Trump isn't a member of the Republican party, he's a member of the Trump party.  He has no "fellow" Republicans, so he isn't denigrating anyone who matters to him, only those who won't proclaim his greatness.
James 1:20

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 01:54:59 pm »

Jeff Sessions and Sarah Palin among many many others.

I'll give you Benedict Sessions, but Sarah Palin????   Come on, she wasn't even invited to speak at the RNC, even as  a former VP candidate.  And why?????    Alaska was too far from Philadelphia.   :silly: :silly:

Just a friendly suggestion for the future.....   I'd leave Palin out of any thoughtful debate about anything Republican or Conservative.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 01:58:02 pm »
Another hit piece thread filled with phantasm and mindless mockery.

#NeverTrump is #NeverRelevant...except in their own fantasies.

See you on the steps of the Capitol, Inauguration Day, 01.20.2017. It's a black-tie affair. Trump's entire family will be in attendance.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 02:06:41 pm »
Another hit piece thread filled with phantasm and mindless mockery.

#NeverTrump is #NeverRelevant...except in their own fantasies.

See you on the steps of the Capitol, Inauguration Day, 01.20.2017. It's a black-tie affair. Trump's entire family will be in attendance.

You never respond to genuine arguments which take Trump to task on issues.  Is it because you can't--like your boy--discuss the issues?

Are you ignorant--like your boy--of the issues?  Are you flexible--like your boy--on the issues?  Do the issues not matter to you?

I think it's the last one.  You're committed to THE MAN and will follow him wherever he leads you.

Mindless.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline beandog

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 02:09:28 pm »

We are not the ones who spent the entire campaign lying and attempting to destroy, both politically and personally, a decent man and conservative, Sen. Cruz.  That would  be the King of all things Orange, the tRumpkin Pumpkin, and his little pumpkin supporters.  We are not the ones who have attempted to silence all dissent.  Unlike, Sessions and Palin, we are not the ones who sold our conservative principles to the highest bidder.  We are also not the ones who have attempted to destroy the lives of decent, good men, like Mark Levin, and any other radio host, who have done far more for this country and conservatism than the Donald and his supporters could ever do in their entire lives.

If tRump and his supporters had any self awareness or shame, they would realize what they have done and attempt to rectify the damage they have caused.  Unfortunately, they continue in their disgusting behavior leading me, and others, to conclude they are not to be trusted.

Offline chae

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 02:11:38 pm »
Yes, Trump's family will be at the inaugeration.  I'm sure Hilary will invite her stalking horse and his whole brood to her coronation.  She never would have made it without him.

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 02:13:49 pm »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/trumps-curious-habit-of-denigrating-fellow-republicans/article/2003520

He'd fit right in at the Democratic convention.

8:39 AM, JUL 27, 2016 |

By STEPHEN F. HAYES

Donald Trump, who last week accepted the presidential nomination of the Republican party, suggested in an interview Tuesday with Bill O'Reilly that Republicans don't like to help people. Trump made the claim during a discussion of the minimum wage, in which he said he'd both maintain the minimum wage and would raise it to $10 per hour.

With Trump, for every position you get an equal and opposite position.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 02:14:06 pm »
You never respond to genuine arguments which take Trump to task on issues.  Is it because you can't--like your boy--discuss the issues?

Are you ignorant--like your boy--of the issues?  Are you flexible--like your boy--on the issues?  Do the issues not matter to you?

I think it's the last one.  You're committed to THE MAN and will follow him wherever he leads you.

Mindless.

:amen:

The only arrow in his/her quiver is that Trump isn't Hitlerly.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 02:16:02 pm »
If tRump and his supporters had any self awareness or shame, they would realize what they have done and attempt to rectify the damage they have caused.  Unfortunately, they continue in their disgusting behavior leading me, and others, to conclude they are not to be trusted.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 02:16:10 pm »

Clinton sent out the invites already? Sheesh.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 02:28:14 pm »

I loved Sarah and wanted her to be the 2012 nom. Her little bus tour stunt did it for me. She's all about publicity. The Palins are the closest thing conservatives have to the Kartrashians. There. I said it.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 02:31:45 pm »
The people on this site throw under the bus those who abandon principle.

Trump throws under the bus anyone who does not genuflect to him.  Trump isn't a member of the Republican party, he's a member of the Trump party.  He has no "fellow" Republicans, so he isn't denigrating anyone who matters to him, only those who won't proclaim his greatness.

Trump is a liberal.  His a Republican in Name Only.  He is a Republican fraud.  I haven't quite decided who is more corrupt though, Trump or Hilary?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.