Author Topic: Monckton: It’s Time For ‘Texit’ — Texas Should Secede, Thatcher Advisor Says  (Read 71444 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
He's obviously put some thought into this.

AUSTIN, TX – Lord Christopher Monckton, 3rd Viscount of Brenchley, thinks Texas should secede from the United States.

In his native Britain, voters are preparing to decide whether they will remain in the European Union.

Here in the United States, Texas just last month considered putting secession on the ballot.  The Republican Party of Texas killed the measure.

This week, Monckton — former adviser to British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher — pushed for Texas independence in an exclusive interview with The Daily Caller.

Monckton is a prominent conservative voice on issues such as climate change and the possible collapse of the U.S. dollar.

Why does a British political figure advocate Texas secession?

In short, Monckton views Texas as a lifeboat. He believes that America is on the verge of being overrun with Islamic invaders which will be accompanied by “imminent” financial destruction.

He advocates Texas secession, or what he calls “Texit,” as a way to preserve the best of America.....

....“One inevitable drawback of establishing a Texas Independence Party to argue for Texit is that, particularly in the early stages, most if not all of its support will come from the Republican Party, dividing the opposition,” said Monckton.  Therefore, he contended that the “first step towards independence” should be to “persuade the Republican party in Texas that it must not deny the grassroots their right to be heard.”

“Will the people of Texas find the courage to break free and establish a libertarian paradise in the Lone Star State? I pray that they will,” Monckton said.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/04/monckton-its-time-for-texit-texas-should-secede-thatcher-advisor-says/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:40:04 am by Sanguine »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Monckton is right. (We'll try for a convention of the States first- but if that doesn't work.....)
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
The very idea stirs my heart like few others.

To put it less poetically, I agree with Lord Monckton.   :laugh:
Let it burn.

geronl

I agree and we can do a Patriot swap with the US, they get our liberals in exchange for conservatives who want to come here.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
God Save the Queen and all that, but in the end, these people still boil steak.  WTF could this guy possibly know about Texas??

That is all.

:smokin:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
God Save the Queen and all that, but in the end, these people still boil steak.  WTF could this guy possibly know about Texas??

That is all.

@Chieftain, did you read the article?  Monckton is a regular here.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

Fine.  He's still British, and they still boil their frickin' steaks.

:shrug:

Offline Ghost Bear

Fine.  He's still British, and they still boil their frickin' steaks.

:shrug:

Almost all of the Founding Fathers were British.
Let it burn.

Offline RedHead

I read it.  He displays a marked lack of understanding of our Constitution.  Texas secession is not as easy as Texas just declaring themselves out of the U.S.  They tried that once and it didn't work out very well for them.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I read it.  He displays a marked lack of understanding of our Constitution.  Texas secession is not as easy as Texas just declaring themselves out of the U.S.  They tried that once and it didn't work out very well for them.

If that's the case, it's hardly a British malady. It seems everyone from the Supreme Court on down has only a passing knowledge of the Constitution.

Yes, the South did try that once, and Texas joined in on the effort pretty reluctantly.  There's probably some lessons to take away from that, but not sure they really apply to our situation now.

Offline RedHead

If that's the case, it's hardly a British malady. It seems everyone from the Supreme Court on down has only a passing knowledge of the Constitution.

Yes, the South did try that once, and Texas joined in on the effort pretty reluctantly.  There's probably some lessons to take away from that, but not sure they really apply to our situation now.

I think the Supreme Court, as well as James Madison, defined the way of leaving very clearly.  A valid secession can only be done with the consent of a majority of the states. 

Oceander

That sounds a lot like satire to me, and a tweaking of the noses of Americans who have pushed for Brexit from the EU.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I think the Supreme Court, as well as James Madison, defined the way of leaving very clearly.  A valid secession can only be done with the consent of a majority of the states.

That assumes that we are operating under constitutional bounds.  We are not.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
That sounds a lot like satire to me, and a tweaking of the noses of Americans who have pushed for Brexit from the EU.

I don't think so, but I suppose it could be. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
This is an idea that makes the conservatives look like a bunch of loony toon clowns to the rest of the population. Just like the loonies who took over that ranch in Oregon.

Offline Ghost Bear

Except, Lord Monckton was against European integration, and supports British exit from the European Union now. So he would have little reason to "tweak the noses" of Americans pushing for Brexit.

By the way, let me take this opportunity to say that I love your choice of avatar pictures. I've been a fan of the Tintin books since I was a kid, and that pic in particular strikes me as being a very appropriate one to use on an Internet forum.  ^-^
Let it burn.

Offline Ghost Bear

This is an idea that makes the conservatives look like a bunch of loony toon clowns to the rest of the population. Just like the loonies who took over that ranch in Oregon.

That's ok. It's a Texas thing.   :laugh:
Let it burn.

Offline RedHead

That assumes that we are operating under constitutional bounds.  We are not.

Then if you're talking rebellion, again, then roll the dice and take your chances.

Offline Ghost Bear

I think a number of states would vote to let Texas withdraw from the Union. I'm not sure if a majority would, yet... but we may get there eventually.  :pondering:
Let it burn.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Then if you're talking rebellion, again, then roll the dice and take your chances.

Just curious, @RedHead, what's your plan?  Or, maybe you're OK with things as they are now?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

It's an interesting issue. Let's play hypotheticals here. If were were to let everyone secede who wanted to, the US would probably end up a collection of city-states or fiefdoms. Almost literally anarchy.

And yet, if the UN were to annex the US, would we want to have the UN's permission to secede from the UN?

Somewhere in between must be the answer. An interesting question to ponder.

Offline RedHead

Just curious, @RedHead, what's your plan?  Or, maybe you're OK with things as they are now?
This is my country too and I'm planning on staying in it.

But let me ask you, how do you see the Texas secession working?  What are the steps?

Offline Jewbacca

• All Wookies Are Jewish

That is all.

FWIW, I ran into Phil Collins of all people (the pop star) when touring the Alamo.  There is a huge element of Texaphilia amongst a certain set of the English.
The residents of Iroquois Territory shall not determine if Jews may  live in Jerusalem.

Offline RedHead

FWIW, I ran into Phil Collins of all people (the pop star) when touring the Alamo.  There is a huge element of Texaphilia amongst a certain set of the English.

I believe he was also one of the foremost collectors of Alamo memorabilia and he has donated it all to a Texas museum.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This is my country too and I'm planning on staying in it.

But let me ask you, how do you see the Texas secession working?  What are the steps?

I think we should try a Convention of States before we do anything else.