Author Topic: How President Reagan dealt with the Berkeley protesters in 1969  (Read 5871 times)

Offline Paladin

Re: How President Reagan dealt with the Berkeley protesters in 1969
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 08:30:23 pm »
"If Buchanan is right (and he's not), then people who have been life-long Republicans, with conservative values and moral principles, will flee the party in droves.  There will be no Republican party left."

Oh, say it isn't so. You mean the Republican Party which has failed to fulfill its promises to its supporters for 7+ years; which has lied to and ignored Conservatives time and again; which not once but twice was given strong majorities in both Houses because the voters wanted them to rein in Obama but did nothing of the kind; the Republican Party which passed us the Omnibus Spending bill which gave Obama everything he wanted? That Republican Party?

Gosh, I sure am gonna miss it.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2016, 08:34:45 pm »
"If Buchanan is right (and he's not), then people who have been life-long Republicans, with conservative values and moral principles, will flee the party in droves.  There will be no Republican party left."

Oh, say it isn't so. You mean the Republican Party which has failed to fulfill its promises to its supporters for 7+ years; which has lied to and ignored Conservatives time and again; which not once but twice was given strong majorities in both Houses because the voters wanted them to rein in Obama but did nothing of the kind; the Republican Party which passed us the Omnibus Spending bill which gave Obama everything he wanted? That Republican Party?

Gosh, I sure am gonna miss it.

==================================

That's why both Rubio and Cruz are hitting the Evangelical circuits so heavily.  It was the Evangelical vote that propped up, and re-propped up what you so aptly described over the space of the last two decades.  It was also the Evangelical vote that elected both Ronald Regan, and each of the Bush's.

Amazingly, Donald Trump is winning or at least competing very heavily with both Rubio and Cruz among Evangelicals.

A-Lert

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2016, 08:52:16 pm »
It is hilarious to ME, to witness phony conservaives, upon learning that Reagan, strong Law & Order man, strong National Security man, really did talk tough, and act tough.

They attempt double-back-flips, pretzel contortions to claim that what was said and done was "different," etc.

I was a college student, soldier, then again college student during the period in question. I lived it, and remember how Reagan handled it.

Most that are claiming it was "different," a) didn't live it, b) look silly, to the point of looking sort of something akin to stupid, c) may be amateur or paid disruptors, d) by opposing Trump they are taking the side of the very "establishment" they claim to oppose.

Call them "Sea Island" Republicans," where the forces of Karl Rove meet Mitt Romney, Mitch McConnell, Silicon Valley, Goldman Sachs, etc.

That is the TRUE world of "anybody but Trump."

In that world, they have empathy and sympathize with rioters and disruptors. They advocate kumbaya understanding instead of "overly harsh" words and phrases. You are, in reality, wimpish--just exactly like Obama.

You lack even the first clues about handling such situations, for your career in constitutional debates have given you zero real world experience, on the ground, with much of anything. You are indeed, professional talkers.

The fact that in May 1969 Reagan endorsed law enforcement to go out and crack some heads, if necessary, surprised you. Caught off guard, and completely unschooled in the FACTS of that era, you resort to "it was different."

I'm guessing we are nearly the same age and my recollection of Reagan was that he was forthright, law, order and America great and first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tear_down_this_wall!

The "tear down this wall" speech was not the first time Reagan had addressed the issue of the Berlin Wall. In a visit to West Berlin in June 1982, he'd stated "I'd like to ask the Soviet leaders one question [...] Why is the wall there?",[2] and in 1986, 25 years after the construction of the wall, in response to West German newspaper Bild-Zeitung asking when he thought the wall could be "torn down", Reagan said, "I call upon those responsible to dismantle it [today]".[3]

On the day before Reagan's 1987 visit, 50,000 people had demonstrated against the presence of the American president in Berlin. During the visit itself, wide swaths of Berlin were shut off hermetically from the event to suppress further anti-Reagan protests. The district of Kreuzberg, in particular, was targeted in this respect, with movement throughout this portion of the city in effect restrained completely (for instance the subway line 1 was shut down).[4]

The speech was also a source of considerable controversy within the Reagan administration itself, with several senior staffers and aides advising against the phrase, saying anything that might cause further East-West tensions or potential embarrassment to Gorbachev, with whom President Reagan had built a good relationship, should be omitted. American officials in West Germany and presidential speechwriters, including Peter Robinson, thought otherwise. Robinson traveled to West Germany to inspect potential speech venues, and gained an overall sense that the majority of West Berliners opposed the wall. Despite getting little support for suggesting Reagan demand the wall's removal, Robinson kept the phrase in the speech text. On May 18, 1987, President Reagan met with his speechwriters and responded to the speech by saying, "I thought it was a good, solid draft." White House Chief of Staff Howard Baker objected, saying it sounded "extreme" and "unpresidential," and Deputy US National Security Advisor Colin Powell agreed. Nevertheless, Reagan liked the passage, saying, "I think we'll leave it in."[5]

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 09:11:17 pm »
This short film proves that Trump's mindset is much like Reagan's was.

Seeing it here in black and white should tone down those sensitive tender souls that warn us that Trump is too strong is his speech.

They said much the same about Reagan. I am glad to be reminded that Reagan did not misplace blame and responsibility for rioting, unlike longwinded constitutional scholars.

Brilliant comparison between Reagan and Trump. They are so much alike. I guess that is why Trump worked like hell to get Carter reelected in '80.

FEC records reviewed by the Wall Street Journal show that after Reagan announced his bid for president in 1979, Trump donated to the campaign of his Democratic opponent, Jimmy Carter.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/donald-trump-ronald-reagan-donations

A-Lert

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 09:26:42 pm »
Brilliant comparison between Reagan and Trump. They are so much alike. I guess that is why Trump worked like hell to get Carter reelected in '80.

FEC records reviewed by the Wall Street Journal show that after Reagan announced his bid for president in 1979, Trump donated to the campaign of his Democratic opponent, Jimmy Carter.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/donald-trump-ronald-reagan-donations

The restof the story;

Trump did donate to Reagan's re-election campaign in 1984, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2016, 10:03:12 pm »
The restof the story;

Trump did donate to Reagan's re-election campaign in 1984, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Oh in chronological order you mean to say Trump was against Reagan before he was for Reagan.  Flip flop, waffle, bend, sway, 190. negotiate.....
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2016, 10:08:53 pm »
Oh in chronological order you mean to say Trump was against Reagan before he was for Reagan.  Flip flop, waffle, bend, sway, 190. negotiate.....

I found that line of argument a little odd too. It makes Trump look like the shiftless unprincipled person he really is. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2016, 10:26:24 pm »
I found that line of argument a little odd too. It makes Trump look like the shiftless unprincipled person he really is.

ALL the 'lines of argument' on Trump's behalf are more than a little odd.

Most of them come right out and tell you what's wrong with the guy and try to twist it to defend it.

I've never seen anything this weird in politics.  Ever.  The truth is right in front of their noses and they refuse to see it.

Black is white.  Up is down.  Left is right.

Scary days.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

A-Lert

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2016, 10:59:13 pm »

It's GOPers who keep doing the same and voting for the same expecting to get different results. It is idiotic if not insane.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2016, 11:06:09 pm »
This attempt to elevate Trump to Reagan's status is both unseemly and disingenuous.

The Donald today says the Gipper was a ‘great president,’ but his first foray into politics was spent ripping the commander-in-chief as an amiable dunce.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/01/trump-used-anti-obama-riffs-against-reagan-first.html
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2016, 11:26:12 pm »

Dan McLaughlin
‏@baseballcrank Dan McLaughlin Retweeted NBC News PR

Trump responds to violence by blaming a video on the Internet. 

LOL!!!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2016, 11:29:00 pm »
It's GOPers who keep doing the same and voting for the same expecting to get different results. It is idiotic if not insane.

So you want us to vote for a Democrat to shake things up. Funny argument since this is the GOP Breifing Room with a picture of Reagan in the banner.

A-Lert

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2016, 11:38:21 pm »
So you want us to vote for a Democrat to shake things up. Funny argument since this is the GOP Breifing Room with a picture of Reagan in the banner.

Aren't you the poster who stated Trump is a GOP member? I want change from the SOS, the deception, broken promises and outright lies. You are welcome to keep eating sh*t sandwiches. I've had my fill. I hear a GOP candidate who wants change and making America great again and that's what I want.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2016, 11:44:15 pm »
Aren't you the poster who stated Trump is a GOP member? I want change from the SOS, the deception, broken promises and outright lies. You are welcome to keep eating sh*t sandwiches. I've had my fill. I hear a GOP candidate who wants change and making America great again and that's what I want.

Except he can't "Make America Great Again." None of what he proposes will pass Congress.

Congress is not going to abrogate NAFTA, or impose tariffs on foreign goods, or penalize American companies for offshoring jobs (Trump himself offshores jobs at this very moment). 

He is not going to change the First Amendment so that media companies can be sued for criticizing him. He is not going to change the law on waterboarding, or force the military to commit war crimes.

Trump is not going to do ANYTHING he's saying.  He's blowing smoke up your butt.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:45:23 am by mystery-ak »

A-Lert

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2016, 11:50:21 pm »
Except he can't "Make America Great Again." None of what he proposes will pass Congress.

Congress is not going to abrogate NAFTA, or impose tariffs on foreign goods, or penalize American companies for offshoring jobs (Trump himself offshores jobs at this very moment). 

He is not going to change the First Amendment so that media companies can be sued for criticizing him. He is not going to change the law on waterboarding, or force the military to commit war crimes.

Trump is not going to do ANYTHING he's saying.  He's blowing smoke up your butt.

You're just not smart enough to realize it.

You can continue to eat the sh*t sandwiches served to you.

How are Rubio, Cruz and Kasich doing? What have they proposed to change the SOS?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2016, 11:52:53 pm »
You can continue to eat the sh*t sandwiches served to you.

How are Rubio, Cruz and Kasich doing? What have they proposed to change the SOS?

What a juvenile response.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2016, 11:53:44 pm »

Some are clearly trying to get as far away from Reagan as is humanly possible.

I can't imagine two more drastically different human beings than the honorable Ronald Reagan, and the despicable Donald Trump.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

A-Lert

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2016, 12:00:16 am »
What a juvenile response.

You didn't address the questions. I have had  to lower myself to your standards of posting to respond to you. What goes around comes around.  A taste of your own medicine isn't so pleasant? You can do something about it.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2016, 12:03:52 am »
You're just not smart enough to realize it.

Smooth, dude. Nothing like a personal attack to make your point. Don't worry, I reported it.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2016, 12:05:42 am »
truth_seeker wrote above:
"Call them "Sea Island" Republicans," where the forces of Karl Rove meet Mitt Romney, Mitch McConnell, Silicon Valley, Goldman Sachs, etc."

I guess you can add the "Sea Island" Pubbies and other assorted NeoCons with the leftists who are doing this:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2016, 12:14:14 am »
You didn't address the questions. I have had  to lower myself to your standards of posting to respond to you. What goes around comes around.  A taste of your own medicine isn't so pleasant? You can do something about it.

Your questions are juvenile and have no relation to this thread.

I'm so trying to save you from embarrassment.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2016, 12:15:30 am »
Smooth, dude. Nothing like a personal attack to make your point. Don't worry, I reported it.

Of course you did.  That's what thread nannies do.  Read the insults posted by the person you're defending. 

Offline Paladin

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2016, 12:30:34 am »
Of course you did.  That's what thread nannies do.  Read the insults posted by the person you're defending.

As with the purported Field's videos, post them here, and then report them.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2016, 12:35:40 am »
As with the purported Field's videos, post them here, and then report them.

I don't report posters. Tattiling is for children.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2016, 12:37:08 am »
I don't report posters. Tattiling is for children.

Which is your way of saying you have no proof and are just blowing smoke.