Author Topic: Member help thread  (Read 21930 times)

Oceander

Re: Member help thread
« Reply #400 on: August 15, 2016, 02:52:25 am »
I don't see a solution there.  All I see are people talking about which browser doesn't have the problem.

Firefox appears to be able to display videos without problems (at least, the most up-to-date version of FF).  I did a little googling around and it seems that there may have been some internal changes made by youtube that are playing havoc with certain browsers.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #401 on: August 15, 2016, 03:05:56 am »
Firefox appears to be able to display videos without problems (at least, the most up-to-date version of FF).  I did a little googling around and it seems that there may have been some internal changes made by youtube that are playing havoc with certain browsers.

I've got the most up to date version and haven't had any problems with video.

HonestJohn

« Reply #402 on: September 01, 2016, 04:54:33 am »
Is there any problems with the sight at the moment?

I cannot connect to the site directly, as it's timing out.

But I can reach the site without problem with a proxy server.

HonestJohn

« Reply #403 on: September 01, 2016, 04:58:19 am »
It seems to have sorted itself out.

Oceander

« Reply #404 on: September 01, 2016, 10:20:21 am »
Is there any problems with the sight at the moment?

I cannot connect to the site directly, as it's timing out.

But I can reach the site without problem with a proxy server.

There shouldn't be; however, it's interesting that you had better luck connecting through a proxy server than directly.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #405 on: May 17, 2017, 08:31:52 pm »
New to "SMF 2.x" & this forum...is there no way to "bookmark" a thread/topic? Finding it hard to re-find/get back to threads I am interested in.  Thanks.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #406 on: May 17, 2017, 09:23:10 pm »
Unfortunately we don't have bookmarks....but we do have notification when someone posts on a thread you have started or posted on. There is a Notify button on the top of a thread and also settings in your profile.

You can also go to your profile page and click Show Posts under your avatar...all your posts will show up there.

I hope I was of help

Nancy

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #407 on: May 17, 2017, 09:25:51 pm »
New to "SMF 2.x" & this forum...is there no way to "bookmark" a thread/topic? Finding it hard to re-find/get back to threads I am interested in.  Thanks.

There are several ways you can do this other than the typical browser bookmark. One way is to click the Notify link at the bottom of the page. You can adjust how you are notified in your profile settings such as get email alerts or show in unread replies. The other way is to 'ping' yourself in a thread which will add it to your mentions tab (mentions under profile). This is like Pings on FR. Just put the member name after @ ie, @Drago

Of course, the easiest way is to just respond to a thread. Then, if it has activity it will show up under the "Show replies to your posts" link at the top of the page.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #408 on: May 17, 2017, 09:32:00 pm »
Thanks for the "re-locate" hints...should prove to be helpful!
@AbaraXas @mystery-ak

Offline ABX

« Reply #409 on: May 17, 2017, 09:33:21 pm »
Thanks for the "re-locate" hints...should prove to be helpful!
@AbaraXas @mystery-ak

There are a lot of neat little tricks for this site.  It is a pretty powerful platform.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #410 on: May 17, 2017, 09:37:28 pm »
I wonder if there is a Bookmark ap we can install?
@Oceander
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

« Reply #411 on: May 17, 2017, 09:43:08 pm »
I wonder if there is a Bookmark ap we can install?
@Oceander

I'm pretty sure there is. If O doesn't beat me to it, I'll look when I'm back at that computer.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #412 on: May 18, 2017, 12:39:26 pm »
This is like Pings on FR. Just put the member name after @ ie, @Drago

@AbaraXas @mystery-ak

NO,it is NOT like pings on FR or a number of other sites. With a ping system,you sign up for notices on any subject that interests you,gun control,presidential elections,music,history,etc,etc,etc,and then anytime anyone anywhere pings one of the lists,you automatically get a ping announcement to that thread when you sign on.

I can practically guarantee you that participation here would pick up considerably if there were a proper ping list system in place.

If you want people to participate or even to post threads of interest,you MUST make it easy for people to find the threads on subjects that interest them. This is why I have basically given up starting threads here other than the music threads. Why should I spend my time searching out and posting various political interest threads,when almost nobody will see or respond to them? You can't have much of a discussion in a hall closet.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:42:07 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #413 on: May 18, 2017, 12:44:14 pm »
I love TBR, but the one thing TOS had an advantage was the ability to search historical forum content.

If it can be done here, I sure haven't figured it out.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #414 on: May 18, 2017, 02:36:37 pm »
I love TBR, but the one thing TOS had an advantage was the ability to search historical forum content.

If it can be done here, I sure haven't figured it out.

Use an internet search starting with "site:gopbriefingroom.com"

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Agopbriefingroom.com+anwr+thackney&oq=site%3Agopbriefingroom.com+anwr+thackney&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.557j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #415 on: May 18, 2017, 02:39:41 pm »
Use an internet search starting with "site:gopbriefingroom.com"

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Agopbriefingroom.com+anwr+thackney&oq=site%3Agopbriefingroom.com+anwr+thackney&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.557j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I refuse to use google with their invasive practices, and left driven policies.

Ill try with duck-duck.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #416 on: May 18, 2017, 02:39:56 pm »
I had a bunch of posts pre-2016 that seem to be missing, is there an archive for GBR somewhere?

Offline thackney

« Reply #417 on: May 18, 2017, 02:45:48 pm »
I refuse to use google with their invasive practices, and left driven policies.

Ill try with duck-duck.

I use google because I have a lot of company driven google stuff for work.

But it works with Bing or any decent search engine.  Most of those also have the tools to filter time and other components as well.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #418 on: May 20, 2017, 02:10:33 pm »
So can someone explain to me how to block a user?

I don't like to block anyone but some posters seem to think that sheer volume is what matters. I'm sick of being buried under a constant flood of propaganda, medical and lord knows what else.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #419 on: May 20, 2017, 02:12:43 pm »
Profile > Account settings > modify profile> buddies/ignore list> edit ignore list.

Just enter the members name (spell it right!)

Or you can set your profile to ignore any sub boards that aren't of interest. Did that myself for the Alternative Reality board.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:16:46 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #420 on: May 20, 2017, 02:16:30 pm »
Profile > Account settings > modify profile> buddies/ignore list> edit ignore list.

Just enter the members name (spell it right!)

:thumbsup:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #421 on: May 26, 2017, 01:15:35 pm »
@AbaraXas @mystery-ak

NO,it is NOT like pings on FR or a number of other sites. With a ping system,you sign up for notices on any subject that interests you,gun control,presidential elections,music,history,etc,etc,etc,and then anytime anyone anywhere pings one of the lists,you automatically get a ping announcement to that thread when you sign on.

I can practically guarantee you that participation here would pick up considerably if there were a proper ping list system in place.

If you want people to participate or even to post threads of interest,you MUST make it easy for people to find the threads on subjects that interest them. This is why I have basically given up starting threads here other than the music threads. Why should I spend my time searching out and posting various political interest threads,when almost nobody will see or respond to them? You can't have much of a discussion in a hall closet.

You are so right, Pete. You can't have much of a discussion in a hall closet. You should move on down to the bathroom. That is where shit happens.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Silver Pines

« Reply #422 on: October 22, 2018, 04:52:55 pm »
I just want to vent that my Internet speed is fluctuating between 1.7 and .5.  Yes, .5.  I can’t even upload a Halloween avatar.  🎃💀🦇

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #423 on: October 22, 2018, 05:00:33 pm »
I just want to vent that my Internet speed is fluctuating between 1.7 and .5.  Yes, .5.  I can’t even upload a Halloween avatar.  🎃💀🦇

Got talked into paying for the fastest internet speed known to man....FB is unusable.  And video streaming locks and loses sync momentarily.

@CatherineofAragon

I like your avatar as it is.....    :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:01:17 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Silver Pines

« Reply #424 on: October 22, 2018, 09:27:47 pm »
Got talked into paying for the fastest internet speed known to man....FB is unusable.  And video streaming locks and loses sync momentarily.

@CatherineofAragon

I like your avatar as it is.....    :laugh:

@DCPatriot

Damn, DC.  I think it's all a racket. 

Yeah, I like John Graves as my avatar, too.  I found a gif of him choking Abe with that hangman's rope, and Abe's face is purple as a grape.  Fantastic.  If I can get my problems fixed, I might try that one.