Author Topic: Memorial Day: Important facts about the solemn American holiday  (Read 175 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Memorial Day: Important facts about the solemn American holiday
10 facts about Memorial Day history, including traditions and key stats about US armed forces
By Nicole Pelletiere Fox News
Published May 26, 2023 8:54am EDT | Updated May 24, 2024 11:18am EDT

Lee Greenwood shares message of hope for America, veterans ahead of Memorial Day
Award-winning singer-songwriter Lee Greenwood spoke with Fox News Digital ahead of Memorial Day and shared words of encouragement for veterans and America as a whole.

Memorial Day is observed in the U.S. on Monday, May 27.

While some Americans will use the federal holiday as a time to relax and recharge, others view it as a day of mourning.

If you’re not certain why that is, here are 10 number-based facts about how Memorial Day came to be — plus current observance traditions and key statistics about America’s military.

ON MEMORIAL DAY, LEE GREENWOOD REMEMBERS AMERICA'S HEROES: 'NEVER TAKE FREEDOM FOR GRANTED'

1. When did the first Memorial Day take place?

2. Which state is the birthplace of Memorial Day?

3. When did Memorial Day become a floating federal holiday?

4. How many American troops have died in battle?

5. How many active-duty service members are in the U.S. armed forces?

6. How many people participate in the National Memorial Day parade?

7. How many people visit Arlington National Cemetery around Memorial Day?

8. How many flags are placed on Arlington National Cemetery graves?

9. How many Americans travel during Memorial Day weekend?

10. How much money is spent on Memorial Day barbecues (meat in particular)?

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/memorial-day-numbers-facts-about-solemn-american-holiday
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson