Author Topic: RADAR: Is it wise to purchase solar panels now?  (Read 564 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
RADAR: Is it wise to purchase solar panels now?
« on: May 24, 2024, 01:44:27 pm »

From one of our correspondents.

Increasing feed-in costs and an end to the netting scheme have a huge impact on the payback period for solar panels.

Is it smart to purchase solar panels at this time? More and more energy companies charge feed-in costs to customers with solar panels. And that has a significant impact on the return time of solar panels, according to calculations that Radar requested from energy comparison companies Independer, Pricewise and Energievergelijk.nl.

The payback period can be up to 19 years.
Vandebron was the first energy company where you had to pay feed-in costs. The amount depends on the amount of electricity you supply back and is divided into scales.

But there are also other ways in which energy suppliers pass on the feed-in costs to the solar panel holder:

https://www.climategate.nl/2024/05/radar-is-het-verstandig-om-nu-zonnepanelen-aan-te-schaffen/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: RADAR: Is it wise to purchase solar panels now?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024, 02:28:51 pm »
I'm waiting for the fire sale...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2024, 02:29:21 pm »
We looked into it.  Hurricanes and roof maintenance make them incompatible, not to mention ugly.  A Tesla solar roof looks better, but it's also very expensive. 

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2024, 02:46:52 pm »
I don't think so in California, seems there is such a glut of solar power generated right now that utilities in the state have to pay other states to take the excess resulting in much lower payments to homeowners and business.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2024, 02:58:24 pm »

Nope! Next question.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 03:45:16 pm »
I don't think so in California, seems there is such a glut of solar power generated right now that utilities in the state have to pay other states to take the excess resulting in much lower payments to homeowners and business.

Out West I'd imagine solar is very feasible. In the East the weather and tree cover isn't as cooperative.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2024, 03:59:38 pm »
It’s too successful for the day time demand and since they need to keep conventional generation running because of start up lags utilities have to dump excess ‘green’ power and also shut down wind turbines. Next the eco Nazis will demand hundreds of acres of battery farms to store the excess.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2024, 05:01:08 pm »
The only solar panels I use are for game feeders and auto trickle chargers.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2024, 10:15:55 pm »
We looked into it.  Hurricanes and roof maintenance make them incompatible, not to mention ugly.  A Tesla solar roof looks better, but it's also very expensive.

My last gasp at it had me building a 'flower petal' style stand, which could retract all the panels into a steel 'petal' box, or deploy then around the pole from the box. That part was easy and fun... a simple morotcycle chain and starter motor did the work... But I got all full of myself and decided to make it track the sun... That was a big mistake. It's out on the number one pile now.

Next time (if there is a next time) will be a roof mount that can retract into an upper deck on the roof - A much more complicated affair to get six panels to slide up the roof into shelter... In the doing of it... But it will probably last with little maintenance for years and years.

Now that big wattage panels have come down in price, I'd really like to make a go of it. But I ain't gonna want to go scrape em every time it snows... Hence my protection concerns... more so  the snow load than the hurricanes.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 10:17:44 pm by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2024, 10:21:03 pm »
The only solar panels I use are for game feeders and auto trickle chargers.

They're pretty handy on poultry nets and emergency fencing too... I ain't a big fan of electric perimeter fencing, but I am all for electric paddock fences that are easy to set up and tear down.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2024, 11:26:19 pm »
It’s too successful for the day time demand and since they need to keep conventional generation running because of start up lags utilities have to dump excess ‘green’ power and also shut down wind turbines. Next the eco Nazis will demand hundreds of acres of battery farms to store the excess.

Yup.