Author Topic: House (Louisiana) approves immigration enforcement bill based on contested Texas law  (Read 140 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
House approves immigration enforcement bill based on contested Texas law
89.3 WRKF Baton Rouge | By Molly Ryan
Published May 23, 2024 at 4:00 AM CDT

Molly Ryan

Lawmakers in the House passed a bill that would make it a crime to be in Louisiana if a person entered the country illegally and allow state law enforcement to detain them. It carries penalties up to two years in prison and $10,000 in fines.

It’s similar to a controversial Texas law that’s being challenged in court for undermining the federal government’s authority on immigration law.

Communities are wary as an appeals court weighs legality of Texas immigration law
The proposal also allows Louisiana to form a compact with Texas to secure the U.S. southern border.

Gov. Jeff Landry already approved sending Louisiana National Guard troops to Texas earlier this year to stop immigrants from crossing the border illegally.

House lawmakers passed the bill in a 74-23 vote. It heads back to the Senate for review of some changes before heading to Landry’s desk.

https://www.wrkf.org/politics/2024-05-23/house-approves-immigration-enforcement-bill-based-on-contested-texas-law
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 06:46:15 pm by Cyber Liberty »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson