Author Topic: Electric cars ‘hit pedestrians at twice the rate of petrol or diesel vehicles’  (Read 162 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Electric cars ‘hit pedestrians at twice the rate of petrol or diesel vehicles’
Study finds the vehicles’ quieter engines are a significant factor in higher fatality rates

Michael Searles,
 HEALTH CORRESPONDENT
22 May 2024 • 3:51pm

Researchers called on the Government to mitigate the risks as it phases out petrol and diesel cars in pursuit of net zero 

Electric cars hit pedestrians at double the rate of petrol or diesel vehicles, a study in a BMJ journal has found.

Experts said that electric or hybrid cars were twice as likely to be involved in a road accident with a bystander than a petrol or diesel car over the same distance.

The researchers suggested the vehicles’ quieter engines were a significant factor in higher fatality rates and called on the Government to mitigate the risks as it phases out petrol and diesel cars in pursuit of net zero.

The study looked at the number of casualties from road collisions in Britain between 2013 and 2017 using Road Safety Data and calculated the number of pedestrians that had been hit by different types of cars.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/05/21/electric-cars-pedestrians-twice-rate-petrol-diesel/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
THIS PROVES IT!!  :woohoo:  THIS PROVES IT!!   :woohoo:  Fighting climate change is hazardous to your health!! :whistle:

It makes as much sense as most of the climate alarmist claims!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson