Author Topic: Solar power at midday is so useless, they plan to start charging homeowners for generating it  (Read 226 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Solar power at midday is so useless, they plan to start charging homeowners for generating it
By Jo Nova

The glut in solar power in Australia is so big that next year solar panel owners in Sydney will have to pay 1.2c a kilowatt hour to offload their unwanted energy between 10am and 3pm. Nearly a million homes in Sydney have solar panels, but only 7% of them have batteries, which means basically, thousands of homes installed hi-tech generators that aren’t very useful. Worse, other homes were forced to pay part of the costs for them. The only winner was China.

Finally, a tiny part of the strangled free market is re-asserting itself, which might slow down future installations, or trick a few people into installing a $9,000 battery. Naturally this unpredictable rule change will hurt the poorest solar owners, but benefit those wealthy enough to afford a battery.

Solar panel owners slugged by Ausgrid for generating too much power
by Caitlin Fitzsimmons, Sydney Morning Herald

The biggest electricity distributor on the east coast plans to charge households with solar panels to export their electricity to the grid during the middle of the day.

Ausgrid will impose a penalty of 1.2¢ a kilowatt-hour for any electricity exported to the grid between 10am and 3pm above a free threshold that varies by month. During peak demand times, between 4pm and 9pm, Ausgrid would pay 2.3¢ an hour as a reward to customers exporting solar to the grid.

The tariff will be charged by Ausgrid and the retailer will decide how to package it. It is opt-in from July this year, and mandatory from July next year.

https://joannenova.com.au/2024/05/solar-power-at-midday-is-so-useless-they-plan-to-start-charging-homeowners-for-generating-it/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=solar-power-at-midday-is-so-useless-they-plan-to-start-charging-homeowners-for-generating-it
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Electricity that's so cheap, that we'll put "a meter" on YOU for selling it back to us...

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Next evolutionary step for near-real time renweable energy smart grids ... store midday solar electricity in battery array, and offload it electricity at other times of day.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright