Author Topic: With No Fed Fix, Migrant Influx Squeezing Big U.S. Cities  (Read 458 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
With No Fed Fix, Migrant Influx Squeezing Big U.S. Cities
« on: February 25, 2024, 03:06:55 pm »
By Fran Beyer    |   Sunday, 25 February 2024 09:15 AM EST

The aftermath of a record-high influx of migrants coming into the country via the southern border is straining budgets in some of the nation’s big cities — and putting pressure on the federal government to chip in.

An analysis from S&P Global Ratings found that of the 100,000 immigrants Texas has transported since 2022, 84% were sent to Denver, Chicago and New York.

Denver, which has more migrants per capita than any other U.S. city, has tapped into 2024 saving and is pulling at least $5 million from its budget to cover services for them — with more reductions likely, Axios reported.

As a result, the city cut hours at departments of motor vehicles and recreational centers and paused hiring for some city staff. Denver Mayor Mike Johnston told NPR the city, with a population a little over 700,00, has had more than 40,000 migrants arrive over 2023, and that he’ll start decreasing the number of new arrivals who’ll be served.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/immigration-denver-chicago/2024/02/25/id/1154862/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: With No Fed Fix, Migrant Influx Squeezing Big U.S. Cities
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 03:08:47 pm »
It seems most of the big cities taking the biggest hits are democrat who offered sanctuary and a lifetime of welfare, at least as illegals see it.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 10:02:41 pm »
But Sandy Cortez(Idiot-New York 14th District) recently said that they’re contributors to  the economy
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 12:09:55 am »
By Fran Beyer    |   Sunday, 25 February 2024 09:15 AM EST

The aftermath of a record-high influx of migrants coming into the country via the southern border is straining budgets in some of the nation’s big cities — and putting pressure on the federal government to chip in.

Chip in for what?  These cities are under no obligation to spend a friggin' dime.   Stop giving out free shit.  Problem solved.  (And yes, 'free shit' includes education, health care, and room and board.)
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 12:51:17 am »
I do not approve of their presence, nor would I have voted for them to come here, and I do not approve of public (in part, MY) money being spent to put them up.

If they desperately needed aid, they could have saved the price of a ticket and fed them in situ rather than spending the money to be transported here, and then expect to be supported, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis