Author Topic: Can the government create a green hydrogen fuel industry?  (Read 490 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Can the government create a green hydrogen fuel industry?
« on: February 14, 2024, 11:16:04 am »
Can the government create a green hydrogen fuel industry?
By
Steve Goreham
February 13, 2024 6:00 am

World leaders promote hydrogen as a possible low-emissions fuel for transportation and industry, and several nations have announced hundreds of billions of dollars in subsidies to support the development and supply of hydrogen. But will governments be able to create a new green hydrogen fuel industry?

When hydrogen burns, the only combustion product is water vapor. Net zero advocates, such as the International Energy Agency, propose that green hydrogen be used as fuel in place of natural gas and coal in industry and transportation. But the problems with existing hydrogen technology are many.

For all practical purposes, a hydrogen fuel industry does not exist today. Ninety-five million tons of hydrogen is produced annually by steam methane reforming using natural gas or by coal gasification methods. But the vast majority of hydrogen is not used as fuel. It is used on-site as feedstock for industrial processes.

Chemical and refining industries, for example, use hydrogen to generate ammonia or methanol. The steel industry uses hydrogen as a reducing agent to produce direct reduced iron. Hydrogen feedstock made from natural gas or coal is inexpensive, with a cost as low as $1 per kilogram.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/restoring-america/faith-freedom-self-reliance/2851663/can-the-government-create-a-green-hydrogen-fuel-industry/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 11:18:48 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Can the government create a green hydrogen fuel industry?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 11:22:57 am »
NO!  The less the government input, the better the business will be.  Think of it this way, would you feel good about it if were announced the Mafia was creating a new hydrogen fuel industry?  What's the difference anymore, between the Feds and the Mafia? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 09:49:47 pm »
You can do a lot when you can print money out of nothing.

Should they? Oh, Hell NO!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 09:55:29 pm »
Besides the BOMB the government has a history of stifling innovation or regulating it out of existence.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 10:21:36 pm »
Nope.

Hydrogen fuel requires lots of energy to create - too much for solar panels and wind turbines alone to generate.

Plus, the hydrogen fuel industry would require one hell of a public relations firm to sell it to the unwashed masses.

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline DB

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 10:40:46 pm »
No.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 07:04:21 am »
Nope.

Hydrogen fuel requires lots of energy to create - too much for solar panels and wind turbines alone to generate.

Plus, the hydrogen fuel industry would require one hell of a public relations firm to sell it to the unwashed masses.

Hydrogen has a bad habit of seeping through the tanks it is stored in. High pressure leaks will autoignite with a colorless flame.  Fun stuff, but forget self-serve.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis