Author Topic: New state-run migrant shelter opens in former CVS in Little Village  (Read 248 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

New state-run migrant shelter opens in former CVS in Little Village
© Provided by Axios

Illinois opened its first Chicago migrant shelter this week at the site of a former CVS in Little Village.

Why it matters: The 220-bed facility at 27th and Pulaski will take some pressure off a system struggling to find shelter for new arrivals, hundreds of whom are now sleeping in CTA buses in the South Loop.

Context: It comes after Illinois scrapped plans for a migrant camp in Brighton Park over environmental concerns last month.

The new shelter is partly made up of tent structures built by GardaWorld, the same company behind the abandoned Brighton Park site.

What they're saying: State officials say they're moving migrants who've been living at a temporary hotel shelter by O'Hare airport to the Little Village site. The hotel was sought out in response to an uptick of new arrivals over the holidays.

Officials are prioritizing slots at the site for families with children and those with disabilities.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-state-run-migrant-shelter-opens-in-former-cvs-in-little-village/ar-AA1mPGCj?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5b7ae9e01a7a4e1b8ed3a5ec8413be17&ei=46
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: New state-run migrant shelter opens in former CVS in Little Village
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 11:33:25 am »
The hotel was sought out in response to an uptick of new arrivals over the holidays.

Uptick or invasion?  Words matter.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson