Author Topic: Fact Check: Biden Proposed a Border Fence in 2007, Saying No Great Nation Has Uncontrolled Borders  (Read 175 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Fact Check: Biden Proposed a Border Fence in 2007, Saying No Great Nation Has Uncontrolled Borders
Story by Jordan Liles  •
22h

© Provided by Snopes
Claim:

In August 2007, then-U.S. Sen. Joe Biden said "no great nation" can have uncontrolled borders and proposed increased security along the U.S.-Mexico border, including a partial border fence and more Border Patrol agents.

Rating:

True (About this rating?)

Context:

An edited video of Biden making these comments was virally shared on X in early January 2024. His full, unedited remarks have been transcribed for this story.

On Jan. 8, 2024, a user on X posted a video from 2007 that showed then-U.S. Sen. Joe Biden answering a question about immigration and the U.S.-Mexico border.

The caption of the lengthy, multi-paragraph X post began, "In 2007, Senator Joe Biden declared that no great nation has uncontrolled borders, warning that America must build a border fence and increase border agents to secure the nation against drugs, terror and illegal immigration."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fact-check-biden-proposed-a-border-fence-in-2007-saying-no-great-nation-has-uncontrolled-borders/ar-AA1mLgHg?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=6d2fa357dd7b4e5ca4b91771cf8ec87b&ei=31
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Even back then he didn't consider America a great nation. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Joe was first elected to US Senate in 1972.  He's had over 50 years to secure the border.  If he hasn't done it by now, he'll never do it.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright