Author Topic: White Men Are Key to the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Conversation  (Read 2368 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
White Men Are Key to the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Conversation
Story by Zoe Spencer-Harris  •
3d

Within today's diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts, white men are often absent from the conversation. In one survey, 68 percent of white men said they didn't feel part of DEI efforts and conversations. Some felt they were seen as the problem. Others (64 percent) felt they didn't have the ability to speak candidly in conversations with colleagues from marginalized groups.

But given the wide representation of white men in positions of power in both the public and private sectors, we need to meaningfully engage them in the conversation to make real change. For example, of the 533 executive officers among the S&P 100, 70 percent are white men. In the public sector, despite representing only 30 percent of the population, white men hold 62 percent of elected offices. The group holding some of the greatest power to influence change are the ones most absent from the conversation about making it. Both our firsthand observations and the social sciences have shown us that when it comes to influencing white men to participate in conversations about racial equity and creating a more equitable world, a powerful place to begin is with their own experience of belonging.

Rethinking how to engage white men
We each come to this conversation from different perspectives. I, Zoe, as a Black scholar, researcher, and activist at Virginia State University, a historically Black University (HBCU). And I, Ron, as a white man working to understand how the privileges I have enjoyed simply because of my skin color and gender have led to the disadvantages others have suffered.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/white-men-are-key-to-the-diversity-equity-and-inclusion-conversation/ar-AA1m6jaJ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=2a49676d853c4a9cb03114bdefe7ab27&ei=58
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: White Men Are Key to the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Conversation
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 01:09:44 pm »
Ita truly remarkable how white men, who are blamed for everything from nuclear war to hemorrhoids, are all of a sudden the key to DEI now that DEI is being seen for what it really is - an attack disparaging white men to make minorities look better.  An attack to divide whites and blacks :im waiting:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 03:31:00 pm »
"...the privileges I have enjoyed simply because of my skin color and gender have led to the disadvantages others have suffered."
The "conversation" will never happen so long as they continue to come at me from that perspective.
It demonstrates that they're not interested in an honest conversation.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 03:41:30 pm »
"...the privileges I have enjoyed simply because of my skin color and gender have led to the disadvantages others have suffered."
The "conversation" will never happen so long as they continue to come at me from that perspective.
Precisely. My having accomplished things in my life has not stopped others from accomplishing those same things.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 06:38:41 pm »
Why of course White men and women(with Conservative values) are the key...they are the new slaves whose sweat is to be used to pay for all those they supposedly wronged past, present and future while having hate and derision heaped upon them by those who deem themselves to be their betters.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 06:55:24 pm »
I'll take my Reparations in the form of early retirement in a lake house.

I've worked since I was 16.  I busted my hump in school.  In my early 20's, I put in 80+ hours/week for work and/or school.

I'll admit that I have faced less discrimination because I am white, but, my skin color has no bearing on the bigotry and discrimination others choose to exercise in their positions of authority.

The system is not racist; some people in positions of authority in systems and institutions are racist.  Those persons need to be held to account.

Scapegoating white deplorables for the behavior of priviliged white elites is wrong, and does not resolve any opportunity deficits experienced by disadvanatged communities.

Not every white guy from Boston is a Kennedy with a $300 million trust fund and legacy admissions to Ivy League schools.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 08:38:08 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 09:57:35 pm »

It's likely more about payback than conversation.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 12:46:57 am »
It's likely more about payback than conversation.
:yowsa:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 12:47:08 am »
Precisely. My having accomplished things in my life has not stopped others from accomplishing those same things.
:amen:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 12:57:24 am »
Chant with me...

If everyone's a P.O.C.

Where is your di-ver-si-ty?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 12:58:55 am »
Try getting a promotion in my (large, well-known) company if you happen to be a white (older) man.

Knowledge, experience and performance don't matter any more, because the company fears the risk of lawsuits and adverse publicity, and has bought fully in to woke ideology.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 04:22:09 am »
My brother's very leftist nephew is outraged that his son can't get into his school of choice because he isn't a minority.  Guess he should have thought about it before voting for leftists.

Offline DB

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 07:51:55 am »
Chant with me...

If everyone's a P.O.C.

Where is your di-ver-si-ty?

Even more telling is all the P.O.C. that flock to this country for its opportunities, many coming from places with virtually no white men...

Why don't all those wonderful opportunities just spring forth in those places instead since it is the white male that is supposedly suppressing them???

In addition, if nearly everyone in this country were white, how is it they could succeed without someone to take advantage of?

The logic fail is over and over...

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2024, 03:22:41 pm »
Try getting a promotion in my (large, well-known) company if you happen to be a white (older) man.

Knowledge, experience and performance don't matter any more, because the company fears the risk of lawsuits and adverse publicity, and has bought fully in to woke ideology.
I know what you mean. My co. is a Fortune 500 type and I was passed over for a female who has less years and breadth of experience. I got to the point where I told my manager to keep their salary grade and just pay me what I'm worth. Fortunately they are, so it eases the "pain" a bit... wink777

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2024, 04:37:34 pm »
 ////00000////

As a hetero-sexual white Christian male of Western European descent, with little to no privilege (aka deplorable), I am the enemy.  I am to blame for all the world's ills and injustices.

Meanwhile, many Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion programs in large organizations are initiated by elite white persons of privilege using minorities as veneers for their virtue signaling publicity campaigns.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 11:36:30 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2024, 05:32:50 pm »
Will they be advertising for token white males?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2024, 11:09:49 pm »
RINO huffs and puffs:
"As a hetero-sexual white Christian male of Western European descent, with little to no privilege (aka deplorable), I am the enemy.  I am to blame for all the worlds ills and injustices."

Then perhaps it's time for you to give serious consideration to Fishrrman's dialectic:
You may not be interested in the politics of race, ethnicity, and identity.
But the politics of race, ethnicity and identity are VERY MUCH interested ... in YOU.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2024, 11:22:23 pm »
Real men are impervious to DEI, regardless of color.
Real men run on word, on a handshake.
And their judgement is merit, and little else.

That makes DEI entirely antithetical.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2024, 11:58:26 pm »

On Twitter, he has a name:  Chad.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2024, 12:03:46 am »
On Twitter, he has a name:  Chad.

:laugh:
The ultimate metrosexual.

There is a hue and cry about why Jordan Peterson rings like a bell to so many young lads.
He is right.
Men need to be recognized as having value by other men, and that at a very visceral, instinctive level... Take that away and the man is cast adrift - worthless, literally.

DEI cannot overcome that. It is, as I said, antithetical to what makes a man tick.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2024, 01:07:16 am »
DEI:  Deport Every Illegal

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2024, 11:43:16 am »

Yep. I have done five figure deals on a handshake.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2024, 01:19:22 am »
To libs it's a zero sum game. If whites are ahead, that means they must have stolen what they have from non-whites. It's never whites are simply better at getting what they want by legitimate means. Non-whites can never fail on their won account. If they fail, it must because they are being oppressed by Evil Whitey.
A number of times I've asked libs that if America is a racist hellhole where blacks can't succeed because they're being oppressed by Evil Whitey, how did Oprah Winfrey manage to accumulate three billion dollars?
You should hear the vituperative comments I get back mostly concerning what an awful racist I am. But they never manage to answer the question. How could black Oprah Winfrey, born into poverty, manage to accumulate three billion dollars in a racist system designed to keep her down?
Occam's Razor: it's not a racist system, and blacks are not kept down by racism.
Libs can't stand that conclusion.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2024, 01:26:12 am »
I'll take my Reparations in the form of early retirement in a lake house.

I've worked since I was 16.  I busted my hump in school.  In my early 20's, I put in 80+ hours/week for work and/or school.

I'll admit that I have faced less discrimination because I am white, but, my skin color has no bearing on the bigotry and discrimination others choose to exercise in their positions of authority.

The system is not racist; some people in positions of authority in systems and institutions are racist.  Those persons need to be held to account.

Scapegoating white deplorables for the behavior of priviliged white elites is wrong, and does not resolve any opportunity deficits experienced by disadvanatged communities.

Not every white guy from Boston is a Kennedy with a $300 million trust fund and legacy admissions to Ivy League schools.
If you look at the annual test scores of blacks that are posted, they are always on the bottom. Guess who is at the top? Not whites.
Test scores in high schools are closely related to how well students will do in college and life.  On average blacks do poorly on scholastic tests.
 When blacks start equaling other ethnicities on scholastic tests and they still aren't achieving parity with the other ethnicities, then I'd start fretting about discrimination. But not until then.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2024, 01:32:21 am »
Even more telling is all the P.O.C. that flock to this country for its opportunities, many coming from places with virtually no white men...

Why don't all those wonderful opportunities just spring forth in those places instead since it is the white male that is supposedly suppressing them???

In addition, if nearly everyone in this country were white, how is it they could succeed without someone to take advantage of?

The logic fail is over and over...

Good points
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy