Author Topic: Colorado Supreme Court rules Trump is disqualified from serving as president  (Read 6242 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Hoodat

Re: Colorado Supreme Court rules Trump is disqualified from serving as president
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2023, 07:29:10 pm »

A primary vote isn't a vote that puts someone in office.  A primary vote is for nomination only.  The Colorado Supreme Court is dead wrong on this.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Colorado Supreme Court rules Trump is disqualified from serving as president
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2023, 07:33:11 pm »

Thank you @mrclose

https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,520183.msg2951954/topicseen.html#msg2951954

However, there is another deadline that needs to be per the CO Supreme Court:

The 4-3 ruling will be placed on hold until January 4, pending Trump’s appeal to the US Supreme Court, which could settle the matter for the nation.

The state Supreme Court decision only applies to Colorado, but the historic ruling will roil the 2024 presidential campaign. Colorado election officials have said the matter needs to be settled by January 5, which is the statutory deadline to set the list of candidates for the GOP primary scheduled for March 5.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2023, 07:36:39 pm »
A primary vote isn't a vote that puts someone in office.  A primary vote is for nomination only.  The Colorado Supreme Court is dead wrong on this.

Yes there is no doubt that the CO Supreme Courts is wrong -- the only chance of this being rectified is through SCOTUS -- will they hear the case in time (By Jan 5 as mandated by the CO election officials)? I think that the liberal justices will side with CO and the wild card here is Justice Roberts.  I don't see him siding with Trump.  Just my opinion.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2023, 07:41:19 pm »
Yes there is no doubt that the CO Supreme Courts is wrong -- the only chance of this being rectified is through SCOTUS -- will they hear the case in time (By Jan 5 as mandated by the CO election officials)?

Another way to rectify it is for Colorado Republicans to return to the caucus system they had in place before.  Republicans statewide can gather together, discuss and debate, and select whomever they damn well please.  And the Colorado court can't do a damn thing to stop it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2023, 07:50:51 pm »
Yes there is no doubt that the CO Supreme Courts is wrong -- the only chance of this being rectified is through SCOTUS -- will they hear the case in time (By Jan 5 as mandated by the CO election officials)? I think that the liberal justices will side with CO and the wild card here is Justice Roberts.  I don't see him siding with Trump.  Just my opinion.

I have to think even "It's a Tax" Roberts won't let this travesty stand.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2023, 08:07:38 pm »
Another way to rectify it is for Colorado Republicans to return to the caucus system they had in place before.  Republicans statewide can gather together, discuss and debate, and select whomever they damn well please.  And the Colorado court can't do a damn thing to stop it.

As I understand the process, the CO election officials would still have to approve of putting his name on the ballot, which the CO Supreme Court has already ruled against and Trump has until Jan 5 to resolve the issue per CO election rules.

Perhaps people are thinking that they could write him in on the ballot, but he also has to qualify as a 'write in candidate' which I doubt would be approved.  All write-in votes for Trump would nullify the entire ballot. Granted I am going by what I've been told under FL law awhile back, but CO so far is obviously trying to keep him off the ballot.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2023, 08:10:32 pm »
I have to think even "It's a Tax" Roberts won't let this travesty stand.

Well, SCOTUS shrugged their duties after J6 and wouldn't even hear cases, so, I am not very optimistic that SCOTUS and justices will do the right thing. Hopefully, I am wrong. This would destroy our electoral system. :shrug:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2023, 08:31:42 pm »

Roberts still only gives the progressives 4 votes.

The decision will be overturned, but the question is on what grounds.   The most pro-Trump thing they could say is that it wasn't an insurrection because he wasn't convicted of it.   They could also overturn it on the grounds that the language doesn't apply to candidates for president, which would be a more narrow interpretation and look less like a vindication for Trump.

Roberts is likely to push for whichever view can get the most votes.  He'd rather have 9-0 on the more limited ground.  Depends on how the 3 Democrat appointees come down.

But I would bet a whole lot of money right now that the decision will be reversed on some ground or another, and that Trump won't be stricken off any ballots for either the primary or general election.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 08:32:49 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2023, 09:51:53 pm »
James Woods
@RealJamesWoods
·
11m
And just like that everybody stopped talking about Crooked Joe’s bag man kid and the decades in prison he’s facing!

Nice play, Colorado!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2023, 10:02:36 pm »
POLITICO
@politico
·
1h
Coons: Colorado ruling on Trump is ‘a plain reading of the text of the 14th amendment’
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2023, 10:19:42 pm »
POLITICO
@politico
·
1h
Coons: Colorado ruling on Trump is ‘a plain reading of the text of the 14th amendment’

Conspicuously absent from that plain text reading is the word 'president'.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2023, 10:47:35 pm »

https://twitter.com/kylenabecker/status/1737508371236888845

There you have it -- they at all costs will do anything and everything to keep Trump from running. I believe everyone is expecting that the SCOTUS will overturn the CO Supreme Court decision as they should. I am not so confident. IMHO SCOTUS kept us from a free and fair election in 2020. I have little faith in our SCOTUS these days.

I couldn't help but note the clarity of this video in comparison to other videos in the past 6 mos.  I found that interesting. I'm sure it's just me. :shrug:

« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 10:49:46 pm by libertybele »

Offline berdie

« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2023, 11:06:01 pm »
Conspicuously absent from that plain text reading is the word 'president'.

Sounds like the bastardination of the 14th that allows illegals children to become citizens at birth.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2023, 11:08:57 pm »

Sounds like the bastardination of the 14th that allows illegals children to become citizens at birth.

888high58888  pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #144 on: December 20, 2023, 11:25:57 pm »
Seems like the Colorado court lacked an actual definition of "insurrection."

DC_Draino
@DC_Draino
Kamala helped bail out BLM & Antifa rioters who were burning down buildings across America, murdering dozens, and causing historic levels of racial division. She was allowed on the ballot in Colorado.
9:51 AM · Dec 20, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2023, 11:27:33 pm »
Fishrrman fearless prediction:

This isn't going to hurt Mr. Trump.

Au contraire -- he's going to gain strength and popularity from this "ruling".
His numbers will shoot up even higher.
Perhaps more amongst "independents" than even among Republicans.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #146 on: December 20, 2023, 11:41:48 pm »
bele wrote:
"From my understanding each state has their own laws regarding elections and as long as they are in compliance with federal laws the states cannot be overruled "

I disagree.

The Constitution specifies the "qualifications" of who can serve as president.
They are limited, but explicitly stated.

By its ruling, the Colorado Supreme Court has created "out of thin air" ANOTHER "qualification" (or, more accurately, a "DISqualification") of its own. And having created such disqualification, it then decides that because of same, Mr. Trump is "ineligible" to appear on the state primary ballot.

If I was on Mr. Trump's legal team, this is the approach I'd take.

A state court has no right to impose new qualifications for a presidential candidate above and beyond those already existing in the Constitution.

By doing so, that court's ruling is of and by itself, UNconstitutional.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #147 on: December 20, 2023, 11:48:48 pm »
Again, each states has different election laws, and they ALL must comply with federal law. As @Bigun pointed out;

Article II of the federal constitution (Supreme law of the land) lays out clearly who is entitled to run for president. Any state who ignores that is in violation of federal law.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #148 on: December 20, 2023, 11:49:50 pm »
RE RinVa's post:

Like another ol' Joe once said, it's not who votes, it's who COUNTS the votes, that matters.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO