Author Topic: 100-Year-Old Union-Backed Law Among Snags Derailing Biden’s Green Energy Agenda  (Read 162 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
100-Year-Old Union-Backed Law Among Snags Derailing Biden’s Green Energy Agenda

ROBERT SCHMAD
CONTRIBUTOR
December 14, 2023

A large ship being built to construct offshore wind farms in a way that complies with a labor union-backed law is behind schedule and over budget, compounding a series of setbacks that have complicated the Biden administration’s efforts to expand domestic wind energy, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Charybdis, a massive boat under construction in south Texas, would be the first vessel legally allowed and able to carry wind turbine components from an American port and then install turbines in the open ocean, the WSJ reported. The ship is about a year behind schedule, which has placed a strain on the offshore wind industry and made it less likely that the United States meets the Biden administration’s goal of producing 30 GW of wind energy by 2030.

In addition to being behind schedule, Charybdis is projected to have a final cost of $625 million, around double what a similar ship would cost elsewhere, according to analysts.

The AFL-CIO, the largest labor union in America, supports the Jones Act, the law that makes Charybdis necessary. The Jones Act requires that American-made and staffed ships carry wind turbine parts to offshore farm sites, according to the WSJ.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/12/14/union-backed-law-snags-derailing-biden-green-energy-agenda/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson