Author Topic: A horror story for climate zealots  (Read 499 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A horror story for climate zealots
« on: November 09, 2023, 07:45:59 pm »
November 7, 2023
A horror story for climate zealots
By Nick Lopez

John Carpenter was a pretty amazing filmmaker in his early years.  He took three pumpkins, a bag of leaves, a poorly tuned piano, a half-in-the-bag lead actor, bad lighting, and an awful script and turned all that into a cinematic masterpiece.

Halloween isn’t a cinematic masterpiece like Stanley Kubrick’s Barry Lyndon is...but for what John Carpenter was working with, he achieved an impressive financial and visual result.

But as creepy as John Carpenter’s Halloween was, the story...was dumb.

So much of the modern “horror” genre is dumb.  Zombies and vampires and serial killers who don’t die — it’s all been done over and over again.

Most folks don’t think of Jack London when it comes to the authors of frightening stories, but you should.  Because Jack London wrote one of the most unsettling and frightening stories ever told.  It’s called “To Build a Fire.”

It’s a half-hour read, and it doesn’t have ghosts, werewolves, or possessed dolls.  “To Build a Fire” is a horror story where the only thing that is going wrong is the subject of the story’s lack of imagination.

He is a man who has forgotten how to be afraid of the cold.  He doesn’t imagine just how many degrees of frost he is facing.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2023/11/a_horror_story_for_climate_zealots.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online roamer_1

Re: A horror story for climate zealots
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 07:52:31 pm »
Quote from: the article
[...] And remember how to be frightened of the cold.

In due time...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: A horror story for climate zealots
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 08:48:08 pm »
I read that story as a youngster. And here I am...With complete respect for Winter. I have known three people who froze to death here.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 08:49:07 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis