Author Topic: Jordanian detained in US on gun charge as 'grave' danger after talking martyrdom with others: judge  (Read 297 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Jordanian detained in US on gun charge as 'grave' danger after talking martyrdom with others: judge
Story by Bart Jansen, USA TODAY  •
7h

WASHINGTON – A Jordanian man who arrived in the U.S. with a Palestinian passport has been charged with a federal gun violation in a complaint that alleges he had been “in contact with others who share a radical mindset,” the Justice Department announced Friday.

The arrest comes at a time of heightened concerns about domestic violence inspired by the Israel-Hamas war that began Oct. 7.

Sohaib Abuayyash, 20, a citizen of Jordan living in Houston, Texas, was charged with possessing a firearm despite his visa not allowing it. He has no criminal record. He faces 15 years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted. He has been detained since his arrest Oct. 20 and his arraignment is scheduled Nov. 13.

Start the day smarter. Get all the news you need in your inbox each morning.

In detaining him, U.S. Magistrate Judge Christina Bryan found that Abuayyash expressed support for radical groups and posed a threat to specific people. While the statements could be “just talk,” as argued by his lawyers, the judge found that training to shoot multiple weapons and learning how to make explosives was more than “just talk.” Bryan said he discussed martyrdom with others and mentioned a Houston event for members of a particular religious group.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/jordanian-detained-in-us-on-gun-charge-as-grave-danger-after-talking-martyrdom-with-others-judge/ar-AA1jnueS?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=934c44e77c2144078dd5a0daaa93df24&ei=63
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson