Author Topic: Lee’s statue is gone. What it unleashed remains.  (Read 271 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Lee’s statue is gone. What it unleashed remains.
« on: October 29, 2023, 11:00:34 am »
Lee’s statue is gone. What it unleashed remains.
© Hadley Green/The Washington Post

That it had to be done in secret says it all.

The Robert E. Lee statue that propelled white nationalists to wield torches and march through Charlottesville couldn’t be destroyed in a known place at a known time. Of course not.

The foundry that agreed to melt down that oxidized metal — after others refused — couldn’t be publicly revealed. Of course not.

The people who witnessed the melting of that statue couldn’t keep the location trackers of their phones on. Of course not.

Charlottesville’s Lee statue meets its end, in a 2,250-degree furnace
A few days ago, The Washington Post published a detailed account of the end of the Confederate general’s statue, a structure that before it was removed from its pedestal had prompted public and persistent displays of hate. That statue was at the center of the Unite the Right rally in 2017 that drew white nationalists to Charlottesville. Remember that? They chanted things such as “Jews will not replace us!” and “White lives matter!” That day, punches were thrown, people were shoved and a man rammed his car into a crowd of counterprotesters, injuring dozens and killing Heather Heyer, a 32-year-old with a passion for social justice.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lee-s-statue-is-gone-what-it-unleashed-remains/ar-AA1j0nHK?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6e2e9d613ec14daea20eed8b02c8c6f1&ei=27
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Lee’s statue is gone. What it unleashed remains.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 11:10:50 am »
The statue, inert, unleashed none of this.

Insane reactions to it did.

There are those who have hated Lee since he refused command of the Army of the Potomac and took the side of his native Virginia, a loyalty few here could understand because the meaning of a "State" has so radically changed in the aftermath of that war and subsequent degradations of States' autonomy and Rights.

But then, the bullshit taught as history today will never permit that understanding, totalitarianism requires ignorance and the mobs that call for history's artifacts to be melted down.

The statue is gone, but the insanity persists.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 12:14:07 pm »
What utter nonsense.  The statue was a war memorial and a work of art.  It was BLM and ANTIFA that unleased all the violence that have pretty much wrecked our big cities and poisoned our American society and culture.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 05:48:52 pm »
Don't panic!

After all,it's not like they took  down  the statue of that great America,George Floyd,right?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!