Author Topic: Futile military solutions cannot solve political problems  (Read 429 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Futile military solutions cannot solve political problems
« on: October 23, 2023, 05:31:31 pm »
Futile military solutions cannot solve political problems
BY STEPHEN CROWLEY, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR - 10/21/23 9:00 AM ET

Palestinians by the buildings destroyed in Israeli airstrikes in Bureij refugee camp, Gaza Strip, Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2023. (AP Photo/Hatem Moussa)
“War is politics by other means.”

These words attributed to Prussian general and military strategist Carl von Clausewitz have been repeated so often they now appear banal. But their truth should remind us that war is never an end in itself. War should only be undertaken when all other means have been exhausted. Even then, a realistic and achievable political outcome must remain clearly in view. Otherwise, even success on the battlefield will lead to failure.

Whatever outcome Hamas thought it might achieve by carrying out such atrocities, the result will hardly be positive for the Palestinian people. The truly brutal attacks by Hamas on innocent Israeli citizens have now led to an almost inevitable reaction: a war to remove Hamas as a threat. Yet the military invasion of Gaza is already creating a humanitarian disaster, undercutting the widespread sympathy and support Israel received. Even if the leadership of Hamas is somehow eradicated, the resulting suffering of innocent Gazans will likely reinforce the grievances that led to Hamas.

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/4266883-futile-military-solutions-cannot-resolve-political-problems/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online DefiantMassRINO

Re: Futile military solutions cannot solve political problems
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 05:37:34 pm »
Why not give administration of Gaza back to Egypt?

If the Israelis are not going to annex and to settle Gaza, why keep it?
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 07:04:45 pm »
I'm sorry but what is happening is not a political issue, it is a religious issue with one side refusing to leave medieval times behind and become members of modern society. The only way a religious war ends in a situation like that is by annihilation, it is what the Palis want to do to Israel and what they are forcing Israel to do to them.

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 07:41:43 pm »
Why not give administration of Gaza back to Egypt?

If the Israelis are not going to annex and to settle Gaza, why keep it?

From what I have read...Egypt wants no part of Gaza.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2023, 09:40:46 pm »
"Futile military solutions cannot solve political problems"

Such solutions can work if you kill them all. Carthago delenda est.

Sorry if you don't like this post.

Alternative:
Force them out -- every man, every woman, every child.
As I've posted before, Somalia would be a good place for them -- another muslim nation where Jews are hated.

The only problem:
How do you transport them there en masse against their will?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2023, 11:34:24 pm »
"Futile military solutions cannot solve political problems"

Such solutions can work if you kill them all. Carthago delenda est.

Sorry if you don't like this post.

Alternative:
Force them out -- every man, every woman, every child.
As I've posted before, Somalia would be a good place for them -- another muslim nation where Jews are hated.

The only problem:
How do you transport them there en masse against their will?
Ask God to part the Red Sea again?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis