Author Topic: GOP split over rules change to keep Speaker ‘mess’ behind closed doors  (Read 317 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 GOP split over rules change to keep Speaker ‘mess’ behind closed doors
by Emily Brooks and Mychael Schnell - 10/11/23 6:00 AM ET

A proposal that would temporarily raise the threshold to nominate a Republican Speaker to the number of votes needed to win on the House floor — a move meant to prevent internal disputes from playing out in the public eye — is expected to be the first order of business for Republicans on Wednesday.

If adopted, the closed-door GOP nomination process set to kick off Wednesday morning could drag on as the conference — which members say is closely divided between Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) and Judiciary Committee Chair Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) — tries to coalesce around a candidate.

While the idea has received broad support, it has also been met with some skepticism.

The draft proposal, led by Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas), would require a nominee to receive 217 votes in the conference before heading to the House floor — a number that would be enough to win the majority of the full chamber.

Jordan has expressed support for the idea.

“I think we’ve got to get 217,” Jordan said after leaving a Tuesday candidate forum.

Others, however, think that members opposed to the will of the conference should be put on the record in public.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4249101-gop-rules-change-speaker/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Whoever coined the phrase that REpubs was the Stupid Party nailed it..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The precedent has been established that any five Republicans have a veto over the choice of Speaker.  That's going to make it awfully difficult to come to an agreement.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 01:29:30 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

Supposedly, there was a secret ballot and Scalise got enough votes.  It's on newsmax.com

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
My understanding is that Scalise got a majority.  But I don't think there's any confirmation that 217 Republicans have agreed to vote for him.  If they did...then damn, that was fast.