Author Topic: Crashed F-35: What to know about the high-tech jet that often doesn't work correctly  (Read 387 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Crashed F-35: What to know about the high-tech jet that often doesn't work correctly
Story by Eduardo Cuevas, USA TODAY •
21h

The fighter jet that crashed miles after its pilot ejected over South Carolina has been touted as redefining modern American warfare, but it also comes with a price tag easily over $100 million and questions about it even being mission capable.

Last Sunday, a Marine Corps pilot was flying an F-35B Lightning II stealth fighter jet at about 1,000 feet near Charleston International Airport when he ejected and parachuted into a backyard in North Charleston. The plane kept flying for 60 miles, crashing in a field in Indiantown, South Carolina.

The F-35, made by Lockheed Martin, uses new technology that can fly stealthily past enemy radar and defense while integrating nearby allied F-35 jet systems to piece real-time maps together that all planes can use. The aircraft can then direct their own missiles – or those from other planes, ships, submarines or ground stations – to targets they’ve identified while airborne.

The Pentagon purchased jets in three styles: F-35A for the Air Force, F-35B for the Marines, and F-35C for the Navy. The F-35B can take off and land vertically, similar to how a helicopter takes off and lands.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/crashed-f-35-what-to-know-about-the-high-tech-jet-that-often-doesn-t-work-correctly/ar-AA1h9WXk?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=6738625cd7d54ddb991b114d485db955&ei=31
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson