Author Topic: Thousands Of Migrants Set To Hit The Streets As New York To Start Evicting From Overwhelmed Shelters  (Read 203 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Thousands Of Migrants Set To Hit The Streets As New York To Start Evicting From Overwhelmed Shelters
Story by Nicole Littlefield •
17h

New York City could start to evict single adult migrants from shelters on Saturday in an effort to dissuade new migrants from coming to the sanctuary city, according to Politico.

New York is struggling to provide care for the 60,000 migrants currently in shelters and Democratic New York Gov. Kathy Hochul and Mayor Eric Adams have been in a disagreement on how to respond to the crisis. With shelters pushed past their limits, the city will stop sheltering single adults after 60 days and thousands will start being evicted as soon as this weekend, Politico reported Friday. 

New York has seen the arrival of more than 110,000 migrants since spring 2022 and has spent more than $2 billion on the crisis, according to Politico. In early September 2023, Adams said the migrant crisis “will destroy” the city, and he previously announced a state of emergency in October 2022 due to the massive influx.

A policy by Adams hopes to limit the number of asylum-seekers by restricting the time period migrants are allowed to stay in shelters. The shelters will stop housing single adults after 60 days, but the administration might further reduce the time period to 30 days, according to Politico.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/thousands-of-migrants-set-to-hit-the-streets-as-new-york-to-start-evicting-from-overwhelmed-shelters/ar-AA1h7Eqp?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3c29499694204c24bb2374d70d6955fb&ei=11
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson