Author Topic: Rebel uprising threatens to derail House GOP deal to avoid shutdown  (Read 1081 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rebel uprising threatens to derail House GOP deal to avoid shutdown
CR deal would last for 31 days and effectively cut spending by 1% from current levels
By Elizabeth Elkind Fox News
Published September 18, 2023 2:26pm EDT

A deal to keep the government funded that was struck late Sunday by two factions of the House GOP appears to have already hit enough opposition to derail it.

Negotiators for the pragmatic Main Street Caucus and the hardline right House Freedom Caucus agreed to a stopgap spending bill known as a continuing resolution (CR) that would fund the government for 31 days while cutting discretionary government spending by about 1%.

Funding for defense, veterans affairs and disaster relief would not be cut under the deal, while the remaining areas covered by Congress’ 12 appropriations bills will be reduced by about 8%. A draft copy of the agreement’s top lines was obtained by Fox News Digital.

It would also attach House Republicans’ border security bill, H.R. 2, excluding a provision mandating eVerify that a significant number of GOP lawmakers opposed.

But even as details of the CR deal leaked on Sunday night, multiple House Republicans took to social media to publicly voice their opposition. With just a thin majority in Congress’ lower chamber and multiple absences on both sides, a piece of legislation can only lose four GOP votes to pass without Democratic support.

"No CR. Pass the damn approps bills. Roll back the crazy bureaucracy to pre-COVID levels. Now," Rep. Dan Bishop, R-N.C., wrote on X, formerly Twitter.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rebel-uprising-threatens-derail-house-gop-deal-avoid-shutdown
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Rebel uprising threatens to derail House GOP deal to avoid shutdown
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 09:56:33 pm »
A CR will pass.  You can make book on it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 09:59:05 pm »

It is SOP.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 03:20:06 am »
"No CR. Pass the damn approps bills. Roll back the crazy bureaucracy to pre-COVID levels. Now," Rep. Dan Bishop, R-N.C., wrote on X, formerly Twitter.

The Senate passed all its own appropriations bills, and it isn't going to ditch all of them and just take the House's bills.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 01:01:30 pm »
hardline right House Freedom Caucus

Oh, please.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 01:19:44 pm »
Chip Roy
@chiproytx
THREAD re: govt funding. In 12 days, funding expires. The question is what we demand to fund it. My position is we must get substantive wins on - among other things - the border, DOD wokeness, DOJ weaponization, & spending cuts to support funding. #NoSecurityNoFunding (1/5)
10:39 AM · Sep 18, 2023

Matt Gaetz
@mattgaetz
I must disagree with my dear friend.
The question is whether we will demand single subject spending bills with open amendments and spending caps.
We do that, or we vote no.
We do that, or the administrative state wins, possibly forever.
That was the deal written by far brighter people than me in January.
I’m not attacking Chip or Scott or Byron.
I’m trying to convince them.
The Donalds CR is a horrible strategy.
I just wanna get our best players back onside so we can run winning plays.
12:10 AM · Sep 19, 2023

The Chip Roy twitter thread to which Gaetz is responding:

https://twitter.com/chiproytx/status/1703780855510966570

Offline bilo

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 07:08:12 pm »
hardline right House Freedom Caucus

Oh, please.

I for one am happy someone is willing to fight.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 07:09:16 pm »
I am, too. It's just the terminology that amuses me, as if they're trying to equate constitutionalists with Nazis.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 09:00:37 pm »

Exactly.

The question is whether it is going to be one in which Chip Roy, McCarthy, and House Republicans have a lot of influence, or whether it is going to be the much worse Senate version joined by House Democrats and some GOP members of the "Problem Solvers Caucus".

Those are the two choices, and it looks like Gaetz, et al, are working hard to make sure it is the second.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2023, 10:30:44 am »

What will a shutdown accomplish?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline bilo

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2023, 03:40:32 pm »
I am, too. It's just the terminology that amuses me, as if they're trying to equate constitutionalists with Nazis.

They can't help it they are establishment Loyalists.

Offline bilo

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2023, 03:46:39 pm »

What will a shutdown accomplish?

Numerous things. The longer it goes the better the opportunity that some of the info about our debt crisis seeps out to the public. Also, the establishment Loyalists are increasingly exposed and the chance that someone primaries them grows. Finally, it forces the establishment Loyalists in leadership to either move to the right or face the consequences of losing the House majority.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2023, 04:28:29 pm »
Numerous things. The longer it goes the better the opportunity that some of the info about our debt crisis seeps out to the public.

The MSM isn't going to cover that.  They're going to cover the negative effects of the shutdown and blame them on the GOP.

Also, the establishment Loyalists are increasingly exposed and the chance that someone primaries them grows.

The moderate/RINO GOP House members who will end up siding with Senate Democrats to pass a bill with no spending reductions at all don't care about that. They come from districts in which there is little or no threat of conservative opposition, or ones in which a conservative cannot win election anyway.
Finally, it forces the establishment Loyalists in leadership to either move to the right or face the consequences of losing the House majority.

You are making the assumption that McCarthy and the GOP House leadership can control the votes of all of its members. Clearly, as demonstrated by Gaetz, etc.., that is not true on the right, and there is no reason to assume it is true on the left.  The leadership moving to the right doesn't accomplish anything if it loses even a handful of members on its left.

The risk you seem to be ignoring - and one that the GOP leadership is not ignoring - is that it only takes a few moderate GOP members to defect from the rest of the caucus on the shutdown issue.  While Gaetz and Co. thump their chest about taking a hard line stand, the Democrats will simply outflank them by pulling in some Republicans who do not support a shutdown.

The result will be the passage of a bill that is much worse than the one that Chip Roy drafted.  And as a bonus, House Republicans will being tarred as fractured and ineffective,  forcing a pointless shutdown, and that will lose us House votes in 2024.

That is the exact road down which Gaetz is leading his faction, and forcing the rest of the GOP.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 06:42:41 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2023, 05:38:50 pm »
Numerous things. The longer it goes the better the opportunity that some of the info about our debt crisis seeps out to the public. Also, the establishment Loyalists are increasingly exposed and the chance that someone primaries them grows. Finally, it forces the establishment Loyalists in leadership to either move to the right or face the consequences of losing the House majority.

Which party controls the Senate and the White House?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2023, 06:40:41 pm »
 ////00000////

The GOP Amtrak Caucus at work.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline bilo

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2023, 06:49:53 pm »

Which party controls the Senate and the White House?

Not the point and not relevant.

Why surrender before even trying?

Offline bilo

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2023, 06:56:36 pm »
The MSM isn't going to cover that.  They're going to cover the negative effects of the shutdown and blame them on the GOP.

The moderate/RINO GOP House members who will end up siding with Senate Democrats to pass a bill with no spending reductions at all don't care about that. They come from districts in which there is little or no threat of conservative opposition, or ones in which a conservative cannot win election anyway.
You are making the assumption that McCarthy and the GOP House leadership can control the votes of all of its members. Clearly, as demonstrated by Gaetz, etc.., that is not true on the right, and there is no reason to assume it is true on the left.  The leadership moving to the right doesn't accomplish anything if it loses even a handful of members on its left.

The risk you seem to be ignoring - and one that the GOP leadership is not ignoring - is that it only takes a few moderate GOP members to defect from the rest of the caucus on the shutdown issue.  While Gaetz and Co. thump their chest about taking a hard line stand, the Democrats will simply outflank them by pulling in some Republicans who do not support a shutdown.

The result will be the passage of a bill that is much worse than the one that Chip Roy drafted.  And as a bonus, House Republicans will being tarred as fractured and ineffective,  forcing a pointless shutdown, and that will lose us House votes in 2024.

That is the exact road down which Gaetz is leading his faction, and forcing the rest of the GOP.

Establishment Loyalists find any reason to surrender. It is the surrendering without a real fight that leads to losses in elections. Like it, or not, the Constitutional Revolutionaries are the majority of the Pub party and they will not turn out in force for Establishment Loyalists.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2023, 06:56:37 pm »

So do you think the Dems who control the Senate and a Dem Whitehouse are going to agree on anything that comes from the Crybaby caucus?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2023, 07:04:42 pm »
 ////00000////

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2023, 07:21:51 pm »

Do you realize that Roy's bill contains a ton of cuts and conservative riders that the Senate is going to be fighting against,and that Democrats have already said is unacceptable?  That's not "surrendering" - it's fighting.

Your view of fighting is to stake out a position that is so extreme that you'll bleed enough GOP members to give the Democrats exactly what they want.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2023, 07:26:24 pm »
Do you realize that Roy's bill contains a ton of cuts and conservative riders that the Senate is going to be fighting against,and that Democrats have already said is unacceptable?  That's not "surrendering" - it's fighting.

Your view of fighting is to stake out a position that is so extreme that you'll bleed enough GOP members to give the Democrats exactly what they want.

Exactly.  That's not winning, or even fighting, it's playing the martyr.

Offline bilo

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2023, 07:38:48 pm »

So do you think the Dems who control the Senate and a Dem Whitehouse are going to agree on anything that comes from the Crybaby caucus?

The Establishment Loyalists would have to if there weren't so many Establishment Loyalists in the Pub party.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2023, 08:30:35 pm »
The Establishment Loyalists would have to if there weren't so many Establishment Loyalists in the Pub party.

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Sorry shutdowns have failed in the past.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2023, 03:33:32 pm »
Chip Roy can be bad cop.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2023, 04:16:10 pm »
Chip Roy can be bad cop.

I admire Roy for trying to make the best out of our weak position in Congress.

Unfortunately, as I said elsewhere, I think we've already failed.

The debates we're having right now are about what bill is going to be passed by House Republicans. But that's obviously only half the battle.   The other half is going to come when the House and Senate sit down to negotiate the differences between their two bills. 

The problem is that such public Republican disunity in the House gives the Senate no incentive to make any concessions whatsoever. They can essentially dare the House to force a shutdown, and then just wait for enough Republicans to defect to pass the Senate version with Democrat support in the House.  The lack of unity makes it apparent that we will lose any game of fiscal chicken right from the jump.