Author Topic: Unclassified space strategy outlines how DOD will defend satellites in orbit  (Read 223 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Unclassified space strategy outlines how DOD will defend satellites in orbit
The congressionally mandated strategy emphasizes resilient architectures, space domain awareness and defending against adversaries' space-enabled capabilities as keys to protecting U.S. assets.
BY
MIKAYLA EASLEY
SEPTEMBER 14, 2023

Edward Ramey, space domain characterization common operating picture segment (SDCCS) lead integration and training support for the Joint Task Force-Space Defense, looks at a computer screen at Schriever Space Force Base, Colorado, Dec. 19, 2022. Through the partnering of the Department of Defense, Intelligence Community and National Reconnaissance Office in the National Space Defense Center, JTF-SD brings to bear the full force of the U.S. Government and synchronizes space superiority planning and operations. (U.S. Space Force photo by Tiana Williams)
The Department of Defense’s office for space policy has published a new document defining the threats posed to U.S. space-based assets and how the Pentagon plans to keep them out of harm’s way.

Released on Thursday, the congressionally mandated report is an unclassified version of the DOD’s top-secret space strategy. During a call with reporters Wednesday ahead of the report’s publication, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Space Policy John Plumb called the document “the clearest and most comprehensive unclassified articulation yet of our approach to protecting national security interests in space.”

The unclassified version is in response to two separate directives from Congress — one in the 2022 National Defense Authorization Act to conduct an unclassified space policy review and another in the 2023 National Defense Authorization Act that called on the Pentagon and Office of the Director of National Intelligence to publish an unclassified space defense strategy.

“It made the most sense to bundle these two responses together because how we’re going to protect and defend our satellites and our interests in space is really inextricably linked with our policy,” Plumb said.

https://defensescoop.com/2023/09/14/unclassified-space-policy/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson