Author Topic: US-Mexico Border World’s Deadliest Migration Land Route  (Read 212 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US-Mexico Border World’s Deadliest Migration Land Route
« on: September 14, 2023, 12:05:47 pm »

12 September 2023
US-Mexico Border World’s Deadliest Migration Land Route

Deaths and disappearances of migrants in the Americas are increasing every year; 2022 was the deadliest year since IOM’s Missing Migrants Project began in 2014. Photo: IOM/Camilo Cruz

Geneva/Berlin/San José – The International Organization for Migration (IOM) documented 686 deaths and disappearances of migrants on the US-Mexico border in 2022, making it the deadliest land route for migrants worldwide on record.

The figure represents nearly half of the 1,457 migrant deaths and disappearances recorded throughout the Americas in 2022, the deadliest year on record since IOM’s Missing Migrants Project (MMP) began in 2014.

The data comes from IOM’s MMP annual overview, which underscores the growing death toll and increasing risks that migrants face throughout the region. These figures represent the lowest estimates available as many more deaths are likely to go unrecorded due to lack of data from official sources. 

“These alarming figures are a stark reminder of the need for decisive action by States,” said Michele Klein Solomon, IOM Regional Director for Regional Director for Central and North America and the Caribbean. “Enhancing data collection is crucial. Ultimately, what is needed is for countries to act on the data to ensure safe, regular migration routes are accessible.”

https://www.iom.int/news/us-mexico-border-worlds-deadliest-migration-land-route
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: US-Mexico Border World’s Deadliest Migration Land Route
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 12:08:55 pm »
Ultimately, what is needed is for countries to act on the data to ensure safe, regular migration routes are accessible.

Uh, no.  Hard, hard no on that one.  There is already a safe, regular migration route into the U.S. - apply for a visa at your nearest U.S. consulate or embassy  - they're all over the place - wait to get it, and then enter through any of the safe, regular border crossings that already exist - heck, you could fly into the U.S. in a commercial aircraft and enjoy the safety and comfort of a U.S. airport while you get your visa inspected and stamped.

Otherwise, any other routes should be impassable.