Author Topic: Vietnam chases secret Russian arms deal, even as President Biden flies in  (Read 230 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Vietnam chases secret Russian arms deal, even as President Biden flies in
Vietnam Air, Boeing near $10 bn deal

Biden
NYT
2 min read Last Updated : Sep 10 2023 | 2:37 PM IST

When President Biden was greeted by Vietnamese officials in Hanoi on Sunday, he was celebrating the prospect of adding another friend in Asia to a coalition that his administration hopes will side with American interests rather than China’s and Russia’s.

During Biden’s visit, the two nations underscored their commitment to “increase peace, prosperity, and stability in the region,” a White House press statement said. Nguyen Phu Trong, the top Vietnamese leader, conferred upon the US an upgrade of strategic ties. The Biden administration has reciprocated early, glossing over the Communist Party of Vietnam’s intensifying human rights crackdown.

But even as the US and Vietnam have nurtured their relationship over recent months, Hanoi is making clandestine plans to buy an arsenal of weapons from Russia, an internal Vietnam government document shows.

The Ministry of Finance document, which is dated March 2023 and whose contents have been verified by former and current Vietnamese officials, lays out how Vietnam proposes to modernise its military by secretly paying for defense purchases through transfers at a joint Vietnamese and Russian oil venture in Siberia. Signed by a Vietnamese deputy finance minister, the document notes that Vietnam is negotiating a new arms deal with Russia that would “strengthen strategic trust”.

https://www.business-standard.com/world-news/vietnam-chases-secret-russian-arms-deal-even-as-president-biden-flies-in-123091100007_1.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson