Author Topic: McCarthy not worried about Gaetz threats to speaker's gavel: 'Go ahead and do it'  (Read 704 times)

Offline corbe

McCarthy not worried about Gaetz threats to speaker's gavel: 'Go ahead and do it'

by Reese Gorman, Congressional Reporter

September 11, 2023 07:13 PM

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) said he is not worried about losing the speaker’s gavel as at least one conservative Republican is making veiled threats to bring a motion to vacate.

Fresh off a "busy, busy" recess, McCarthy is forced to deal with threats to his speakership from Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL), who has taken to X, the social media site formerly known as Twitter, and implied that he might bring a motion to vacate.

When asked if he was worried about losing his gavel following Gaetz’s posts, McCarthy said, “Not at all” and that the Florida Republican should “go ahead and do it.”

“Matt’s Matt,” he said.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/speaker-mccarthy-not-worried-about-motion-to-vacate-threats
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
When asked if he was worried about losing his gavel following Gaetz’s posts, McCarthy said, “Not at all” and that the Florida Republican should “go ahead and do it.

“Matt’s Matt,” he said.

That's exactly how he should be responding to those kind of threads.  Call Gaetz' bluff and see if he's actually got the guts to do it.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Geatz has been all puffed up ever since he beat Rehbekah Jones last year.  He's a sneaky little... shit like Niedermeyer.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Does Gaetz even have a plan or is this just posturing and d**k waving?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

Does Gaetz even have a plan or is this just posturing and d**k waving?

Probably the latter.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Probably the latter.

Seen an article that he's floating a team up with Rep Swallowswell to take down McCarthy.

Anyone who would pair with that scumbag completely loses me.
The Republic is lost.

Offline kevindavis007

Geatz has been all puffed up ever since he beat Rehbekah Jones last year.  He's a sneaky little... shit like Niedermeyer.

I like Niedermeyer more than Gaetz... You insulted Niedermeyer.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline bilo

Well it's nice to see who the establishment Pubs are.

Gaetz's speech on the House floor was outstanding. It's a shame that at best there are only 60-70 America First Pubs in the House.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Well it's nice to see who the establishment Pubs are.

Gaetz's speech on the House floor was outstanding. It's a shame that at best there are only 60-70 America First Pubs in the House.

Not sure how you define an "America First" Republican, but McCarthy was the first choice for all but 31 members of the house GOP caucus when they voted internally for Speaker.