Author Topic: 4-foot-7-inch Marine says peers in boot camp ‘kind of looked up to’ him  (Read 269 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
4-foot-7-inch Marine says peers in boot camp ‘kind of looked up to’ him
By Irene Loewenson
 Friday, Sep 8

A 4-foot-7-inch man completed Marine boot camp in September, possibly making him the shortest U.S. service member ever.

Pfc. Nathaniel Laprade graduated from Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, South Carolina, on Sept. 1, as the Marine chosen to carry the guidon representing his entire series, according to a Marine Corps news release Tuesday.

As a teen, Laprade joined his high school’s Army JROTC program. But he said he was pulled toward the Marine Corps because it offered the “snap precision” his program instructor, retired Army 1st Sgt. Thomas Gent, instilled in his students.

“One day in the cafeteria there was a Marine recruiter standing there and his uniform was perfect, no flaws no nothing,” Laprade said in the release. “You just felt something, stood there, strong and disciplined, a solid statue of determination of honor, courage and commitment.”

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2023/09/08/4-foot-7-inch-marine-says-peers-in-boot-camp-kind-of-looked-up-to-him/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: 4-foot-7-inch Marine says peers in boot camp ‘kind of looked up to’ him
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 04:40:33 pm »
 :mauslaff:  What an irony!!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: 4-foot-7-inch Marine says peers in boot camp ‘kind of looked up to’ him
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 08:58:41 pm »
There used to be a minimum AND a maximum height that determined if you  would be allowed/accepted into the US Military.
I knew a MSG in the army that was around 6-8 to 6-10 tall,and he told me he had to agree to buy his own uniforms out of his own pocket before he was allowed to enlist

Ironically  enough,he married an Okinawan woman who was around 4 foot 10 inches tall.

Their daughter was an absolute knock-out,though. Had that black Asian hair that practically  glows,and ripples like water when she moved her head. She also had the bluest eyes I have ever seen. It was a real shock to see those eyes for the first time if you were behind her and she turned her head. The rest of her was pretty damn stunning,too. She was a clothing model while still in high school.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!