Author Topic: Thousands more Mauritanians are making their way to the US, thanks to a route spread on social media  (Read 225 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Thousands more Mauritanians are making their way to the US, thanks to a route spread on social media
by: JAKE OFFENHARTZ, PATRICK ORSAGOS and RENATA BRITO, Associated Press

Posted: Aug 21, 2023 / 02:01 PM CDT

Updated: Aug 21, 2023 / 02:01 PM CDT

CINCINNATI (AP) — Aissata Sall was scrolling through WhatsApp in May when she first learned about the new route to the United States. For Ibrahima Sow, the discovery came on TikTok a few weeks later.

By the time their paths crossed at the tidy one-story brick house in Cincinnati, they had encountered hundreds of other Mauritanians, nearly all of them following a new path surging in popularity among younger migrants from the West African nation, thanks largely to social media.

More African asylum-seekers crossing into southwest Arizona as encounters plummet
“Four months ago, it just went crazy,” said Oumar Ball, who arrived in Cincinnati from Mauritania in 1997 and recently opened his home to Sow, Sall and more than a dozen other new migrants. “My phone hasn’t stopped ringing.”

https://www.borderreport.com/immigration/thousands-more-mauritanians-are-making-their-way-to-the-us-thanks-to-a-route-spread-on-social-media/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It baffles me that people still want to come here. Unless they see us as an easy conquest...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024