Author Topic: NYC has opened a new migrant center on Randall's Island  (Read 458 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NYC has opened a new migrant center on Randall's Island
« on: August 22, 2023, 01:37:12 pm »
NYC has opened a new migrant center on Randall's Island
The housing facility can house up to 3,000 people. But this isn’t the first time the city has built tents on Randall's Island.

By: Axel TurciosPosted at 8:52 PM, Aug 21, 2023 and last updated 8:53 PM, Aug 21, 2023

Jose Conde is just one day into his new home. The Venezuelan asylum-seeker arrived in New York City about three months ago. He says he's grateful, but the new shelter facility on Randall's Island is his second stop through the city's migrant system. Previously, he was at a Staten Island shelter.

"Where we were before it was a hotel, a 3-star hotel I believe. But since this shelter here is for single adult men, then we were transferred here," said Conde.

City Hall opened its new migrant complex on Randall's Island's youth soccer fields Sunday.

"It's not proper housing. It's not permanent, it's just a quick fix to alleviate something," said Ashanta Smith, a New York City resident.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/nyc-has-opened-a-new-migrant-center-on-randall-s-island
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: NYC has opened a new migrant center on Randall's Island
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 01:39:12 pm »

NY will open former airfield in Brooklyn to house 2,000 asylum seekers
Sarah Taddeo
New York State Team

At least 2,000 more asylum seekers will have somewhere to live in New York City in the coming weeks.

On Monday, Gov. Kathy Hochul announced that Floyd Bennett Field, a former airfield in Brooklyn, will become a shelter for asylum seekers who’ve been arriving in New York City in droves for months.

The field is opening under a “tentative contract” with the Biden administration, she said in a release. Once the details of that contract are finalized, she’ll work with New York City Mayor Eric Adams to set up a Humanitarian Emergency Relief and Response Center there, with capacity for more than 2,000 asylum seekers.

https://www.stargazette.com/story/news/2023/08/22/nyc-asylum-seekers-live-floyd-bennett-field-brooklyn-humanitarian-relief/70645379007/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 01:56:38 pm »
New York lawmakers to sue to block migrant housing at federal airfield
The litigants argue that the financial impact on New York City and other municipalities could "go broke" by providing shelter and other necessities to the migrants.

Brandon Judd: NY Gov. Hochul is ‘rewarding’ illegal immigrants with humanitarian aid
National Border Patrol Council President Brandon Judd says New York Governor Kathy Hochul is using federal humanitarian aid to encourage asylum seekers to cross the border illegally. “This is a politician that went out and sent a clear message to all people that might want to cross our borders illegally: ‘Go ahead and come and we’re going to give you a reward. We’re going to reward you for violating our laws’,” says Judd.

By The Center Square Staff
September 20, 2023 11:00pm

Updated: September 20, 2023 11:00pm

(The Center Square) — A bipartisan group of New York lawmakers has filed a lawsuit seeking to block the use of a federally owned airfield in Brooklyn to house asylum-seekers.

The lawsuit, filed by four Democrats, a Republican congresswoman and several Staten Island residents in the state Superior Court, asks a judge to block New York City from using Brooklyn's Floyd Bennett Field or any other federally owned site in the Gateway National Recreation Area to provide temporary housing for migrants.

In the 48-page complaint, lawyers for the plaintiffs argue that Gov. Kathy Hochul and New York City Mayor Eric Adams have contributed to the influx of migrants by declaring themselves "sanctuary" jurisdictions that don't cooperate with immigration crackdowns and public announcements that migrants would get housing, food, health care and other support.

https://justthenews.com/nation/states/center-square/new-york-lawmakers-sue-block-migrant-housing-federal-airfield
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 12:53:29 pm »
New York to stick migrants on risky national park site with no police or jobs
By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Wednesday, September 27, 2023
The Biden administration is slashing through environmental protection rules and worries about policing and the health of illegal immigrants as it rushes to erect a migrant camp on a national park site in New York City, local lawmakers told Congress on Wednesday.

The National Park Service signed an agreement to lease Floyd Bennett Field, part of the Gateway National Recreation Area in Brooklyn, to hold a tent city housing up to 7,500 adult men, giving New York a place to stash at least some of the cataclysmic flow of migrants cresting over the city.

Government officials have indicated that they will not go through the environmental process required by the National Environmental Policy Act, nor have they figured out how to boost policing for the area, which is currently home to ball fields, hay rides and a children’s petting zoo. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org