Author Topic: ‘Biden’s Border Crisis and Its Effect on American Communities’  (Read 189 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Biden’s Border Crisis and Its Effect on American Communities’
My opening statement at an August 8 joint congressional border hearing

By Andrew R. Arthur on August 10, 2023

On August 2, I was invited by Rep. Glenn Grothman (R-Wisc.), chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Accountability’s Subcommittee on National Security, the Border, and Foreign Affairs to appear as a witness at a joint hearing that subcommittee was holding in Sierra Vista, Ariz., on August 8 with the House Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on Crime and Federal Government Surveillance.

My (much longer) written testimony has been posted on the Center’s website, and if you want a full and complete history of immigration enforcement at the Southwest border over the past seven years, and a detailed analysis explaining why illegal entries at that border have spiked ever since Joe Biden took office, you will find it in that (57 page, single-spaced, with 325 footnotes) document.

When you testify before Congress, however, you aren’t allotted two hours to elucidate on the finer points of law and policy. You get five minutes, and expect to hear a gavel reminding you of those limits when the electric timer in front of you blinks from green to yellow and then to red.

To that end, here is my opening statement at the August 8 hearing, summarizing — succinctly — my key points:

https://cis.org/Arthur/Bidens-Border-Crisis-and-Its-Effect-American-Communities
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson