Author Topic: There's a Big Problem With Electric Pickup Trucks, New AAA Study Reveals  (Read 264 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
There's a Big Problem With Electric Pickup Trucks, New AAA Study Reveals
Story by AutoGuide.com Staff •
23h

A recent study conducted by the AAA Automotive Engineering research team has shed light on an important aspect of electric vehicles (EVs). The research findings indicate that EVs experience a significant reduction in range when loaded with heavy cargo. In particular, the study examined the Ford F-150 Lightning, a popular electric pickup truck, and revealed that its range decreased by 24.5% when carrying 1,400 pounds of sandbags, stopping just short of its maximum capacity.

This discovery emphasizes the importance of understanding the limitations of EVs and aims to alleviate concerns surrounding range anxiety among potential EV owners.

The Study's Findings
The AAA study conducted extensive testing on the Ford F-150 Lightning and found that when loaded with 1,400 pounds of sandbags, the vehicle's range decreased from 278 miles to 210 miles. This reduction in range highlights the impact of excess weight on the performance of EVs, reinforcing the understanding that hauling heavy cargo requires more energy to move.

Greg Brannon, the director of AAA Automotive Engineering, acknowledged the significance of the range reduction but emphasized that the majority of buyers are likely to use their vehicles with lighter loads, resulting in a smaller decrease in range. Therefore, while the study's findings are noteworthy, it's important to consider real-world usage scenarios when evaluating the impact on EV range.

Driving Behavior and Physics

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/there-s-a-big-problem-with-electric-pickup-trucks-new-aaa-study-reveals/ar-AA1f5zrT?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9c008fc4b63948e8b6c9128dc787222e&ei=12
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

The research findings indicate that EVs experience a significant reduction in range when loaded with heavy cargo.

:mauslaff:

In other words, they fail precisely when they are supposed to be fulfilling their role as trucks!

To put it another way, these things aren't trucks, they're soy-boy toys for the urban-poseur set.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
:mauslaff:

In other words, they fail precisely when they are supposed to be fulfilling their role as trucks!

To put it another way, these things aren't trucks, they're soy-boy toys for the urban-poseur set.
Keep in mind, this is just hauling a load, not going up mountains, not running the heater at 20 below (which also robs you of battery efficiency) or bucking a 30 MPH wind.

IOW, never mind. Useless here.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis