Author Topic: On the Climate Train to Destruction? Another View (adaptation, not futile mitigation)  (Read 206 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
On the Climate Train to Destruction? Another View (adaptation, not futile mitigation)
By Robert Bradley Jr. -- August 2, 2023

“In business and economic terms, what is physically ‘worse’ [with climate] today is actually better [than in the past]. Thus I would argue that social justice demands affordable A/C for many more or all rather than mitigation policies that make A/C less affordable or unaffordable.”

This exchange was with Susan Krumdieck, “Professor, Author and Leader in Energy Transition Engineering.” While I have criticized her approach to “transition engineering” as uneconomic in a true marketplace and thus government-driven, I appreciate her polite engagement toward mutual learning.

Our latest exchange began with her post comment:

Thanks everyone for sharing the news about the extreme weather. But I feel like we are on a run-away train. Here is a metaphor story. Maybe it will help.

A Speeding Train?

https://www.masterresource.org/linkedin-climate-energy-debates/climate-train-to-destruction-exchange/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I have been saying for some time, that if the vast majority of any changes to climate on Earth are part of a natural process, nothing we do to 'mitigate' something we have only had a minor effect on (if any effect) will stop the natural process.

In that likely event, humanity will need every arrow in its proverbial quiver to survive and adapt to those changing conditions.

Which means, we will need the energy to utilize the resources we have to adapt through the same technology that permits us to provide enough food to feed all the people on the planet (despite the flaws in distribution) to provide also for the technology that will permit us to utilize areas formerly not available for agriculture and to move from areas too unsuitable to live in.

Considering, for instance, that the 'old ones' and those who built the pueblos of the American Southwest moved out for reasons which may well have included a shift in climate, and that those changes happened long before the advent of SUVs or Air Conditioning, perhaps we would best expend our energies figuring out what adaptations need be made and how we will make them, rather than discarding the technology that has brought us all this far.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

I have been saying for some time, that if the vast majority of any changes to climate on Earth are part of a natural process, nothing we do to 'mitigate' something we have only had a minor effect on (if any effect) will stop the natural process.

In that likely event, humanity will need every arrow in its proverbial quiver to survive and adapt to those changing conditions.

Which means, we will need the energy to utilize the resources we have to adapt through the same technology that permits us to provide enough food to feed all the people on the planet (despite the flaws in distribution) to provide also for the technology that will permit us to utilize areas formerly not available for agriculture and to move from areas too unsuitable to live in.

Considering, for instance, that the 'old ones' and those who built the pueblos of the American Southwest moved out for reasons which may well have included a shift in climate, and that those changes happened long before the advent of SUVs or Air Conditioning, perhaps we would best expend our energies figuring out what adaptations need be made and how we will make them, rather than discarding the technology that has brought us all this far.

:thumbsup: