Author Topic: In new strategy, state asks locals to host unhoused, migrant families as officials scramble to expan  (Read 414 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
In new strategy, state asks locals to host unhoused, migrant families as officials scramble to expand shelters
July 15, 2023
Gabrielle Emanuel

The state is seeking people to host newly arrived families in need of shelter. The host families are asked to provide a room or apartment for a few days, until longer-term accommodations are arranged. A significant portion of the families in need of housing in Massachusetts are newly arrived immigrants. Many of those arriving in Boston have fled violence in Haiti and traveled through other states before coming to Massachusetts.

The new host family strategy comes as the state scrambles to expand shelter capacity and provide for an increasing number of homeless families. The state’s new Family Welcome Center in Allston is tasked with recruiting, vetting and onboarding host families, as well as pairing them with the families in need.

WBUR is a nonprofit news organization. Our coverage relies on your financial support. If you value articles like the one you're reading right now, give today.

“This has previously been a practice among Resettlement Agencies and other volunteers who work to support new arrivals,” said Karissa Hand, press secretary for the Healey administration, in a statement. Host families are generally drawn from the community and volunteer networks, her statement said, adding that the Brazilian Worker Center has a contract with the state’s Office for Refugees and Immigrants to run the Family Welcome Center in Allston.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2023/07/15/host-homes-immigrant
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

Meanwhile, in Canada:
Bill Tufts
@BillTufts
Hamilton Ontario under NDP mayor is starting towards  confiscating your home to use for mass migrants
Knocking on doors to see if they are vacant and if there are any vacancies implementing new tax

5:56 AM · Jul 31, 2023
(Already done in Germany: Germany Confiscating Homes to Use for Migrants, a 2017 story).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
How long before they start knocking on the doors of single-family homes, and checking if all the bedrooms are being used?

A "vacant bedroom tax".
To start...

Offline mountaineer

How long before they start knocking on the doors of single-family homes, and checking if all the bedrooms are being used?

A "vacant bedroom tax".
To start...
Exactly. Coming to a town near you, i.e., your town.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

Exactly. Coming to a town near you, i.e., your town.

Hang on tightly to the 2A.  That is going to be all we have left to protect our lives and property.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.