Author Topic: FBI funding slashed by $1B in legislation moving closer to a House vote  (Read 220 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
July 14, 2023 12:34pm EDT
FBI funding slashed by $1B in legislation moving closer to a House vote
FBI funding would drop from $11.3 billion to $10.3 billion under the bill

By Peter Kasperowicz | Fox News

House Republicans on Friday advanced legislation that would cut FBI funding by $1 billion and rein in what the GOP says is the over-politicization of the bureau.

In a party-line vote, a House Appropriations subcommittee approved the Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies funding bill for 2024. The legislation goes further than the spending deal reached by House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., and President Biden by steering overall funding levels to those seen in 2022 rather than 2023.

For the FBI, that means a significant 9% cut in funding. The bill chops discretionary funding for the bureau from $11.3 billion in the current fiscal year to $10.3 billion.

The big chunk of that cut is a $400 million reduction to FBI salaries and expenses. But the bill also imposes new spending limitations on the bureau, which has been a focus of complaints from Republicans who say the FBI has failed to pursue charges against Hunter Biden while it has aggressively worked to prosecute conservatives.

Among other things, the bill bars the FBI from conducting any politically sensitive investigations until the Justice Department sets up a policy that lets non-partisan staff oversee these probes.

The bill prevents the FBI from paying the salary of any employee who retaliates against a whistleblower, thwarts an employee’s First Amendment rights to free speech or fails to comply with a congressional subpoena. It also prohibits the FBI from classifying any communication as "misinformation" or censor lawful speech.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fbi-funding-slashed-legislation-closer-house-vote
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
FBI funding slashed by $1B in legislation moving closer to a House vote
FBI funding would drop from $11.3 billion to $10.3 billion under the bill

Really??? I'll believe it when I see it! 

Republicans actually playing hardball. Be still my beating heart!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien