Author Topic: Mr. Rogers’ incredibly positive message for children: You’re born and stay boys and girls  (Read 507 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Legal Insurrection by  New Neo Sunday, July 2, 2023

The non-controversial message of public television and education, as well as therapists, was to reassure children that their bodies—whether boy or girl—were as they should be: “Boy are boys right from the start. If you were born a boy, you stay a boy. Girls were girls right from the start. If you were born a girl, you stay a girl, and grow up to be a lady.”

“Everybody’s Fancy” is a song I remember hearing back when I watched Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood years ago with my own child. But I recall thinking that the message seemed a bit unnecessary. Why did kids need reassurance about remaining boys or remaining girls?

Ah, but how the times have changed. I have come to think of the song as both important and prescient. Perhaps Fred Rogers was merely concerned at the time with castration anxiety in kids or something of that sort. The idea that “some are fancy on the outside” and some “on the inside” seems to be a cute-ish way of referring to boys and girls, respectively. The message is of body integrity, goodness, and wholeness, about which today’s children probably need a ton of reassurance. Unfortunately, they’re not watching Mr. Rogers anymore.

If Mr. Rogers were alive to sing this song today, he’d probably be banned. Pay particular attention to the second verse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM1ODJunrN8

Now we have a whole different approach to the subject. Typical are “educational” tools such as this workbook recommended for ages as young as five.

From one of the negative reviews of the book (most are positive, by the way):

If your child wasn’t confused before he/she will be after going through this “workbook.” Perpetuates gender stereotypes & full of leading questions.

Perhaps that’s the point. A few of the many activity titles: Breaking Out of the Binary, My Space In the Spectrum, Is Social Transition Right for Me?

And here’s a quote from the first activity:

When babies are born, one of the first things people want to know is, “Is it a girl?” or “Is it a boy?” It’s like people need to know the answer to these questions before they know how to think or feel about another person. Some people think if they know the sex of a person, they know the gender of a person. They believe those two words mean the same thing. Nope. No. Wrongo!

The label of “boy” or “girl” given to a baby at birth and a person’s gender are two different things, and for some people the two are quite different. This might sound complicated, but knowing your own gender can be rather simple. Most importantly, each person has the right to know and declare their own gender. You are the expert when it comes to your gender!

More: https://legalinsurrection.com/2023/07/mr-rogers-incredibly-positive-message-for-children-youre-born-and-stay-boys-and-girls/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Good thing Mr. Rogers is dead because I have a feeling PBS would have forced him to "update" this teaching.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline LMAO

Good thing Mr. Rogers is dead because I have a feeling PBS would have forced him to "update" this teaching.

They absolutely would. Especially under the Biden regime
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

Yup.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I think from what I know of Mister Rogers, not a whole lot, he would have probably refused. While I love the message reassuring boys and girls about who they are has anyone noticed If you were born a boy, you stay a boy, while If you were born a girl, you stay a girl, and grow up to be a lady.”[/b] So boys never grow up? :silly: :silly: