Author Topic: Ocasio-Cortez: SCOTUS in ‘Dangerous Authoritarian Expansion of Power’ — ‘Impeachment on the Table’  (Read 483 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ocasio-Cortez: SCOTUS in ‘Dangerous Authoritarian Expansion of Power’ — ‘Impeachment on the Table’

Pam Key 2 Jul 2023

Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union” that the Supreme Court has engaged in “dangerous authoritarian expansion of power.”

Ocasio-Cortez said, “We have justices saying that the Supreme Court is going themselves much too far. They are expanding their role into acting as though they are Congress itself. And that, I believe, is an expansion of power that we really must be focusing on. The danger of this court and the abuse of power in this court particularly as it is related to the entanglements around conflicts of interest, as well.”

Anchor Dana Bash asked, “Are you saying that the justices’ power should somehow be limited?”

Ocasio-Cortez said, “I truly do. And this is not a new, this is not a new development in history. This is part of our system of checks and balances. The courts, if they were to proceed without any check on their power, without any balance on their power, then we will start to see an undemocratic and frankly dangerous authoritarian expansion of power in the Supreme Court which what we are seeing now from overturning abortion to the ruling for discrimination and frankly stripping the full dignity and personhood of LGBTQ people in the United States.”

She added, “There also must be impeachment on the table. We have a broad level of tools to deal with misconduct, overreach, and abuse of power and the Supreme Court which has not been receiving the adequate oversight necessary in order to preserve their own legitimacy. And in the process, being themselves have been destroying the legitimacy of the court, which is profoundly dangerous for our entire democracy.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/07/02/ocasio-cortez-scotus-in-dangerous-authoritarian-expansion-of-power-impeachment-on-the-table/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Offline andy58-in-nh

Freedom of expression and equal treatment under the law are opposites of authoritarian rule, and represent a reduction, not an expansion of state power.

Progressives view people and their liberty as authoritarian, and government as the source of all rights and responsibilities.

Accordingly, their world view is entirely upside-down.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Freedom of expression and equal treatment under the law are opposites of authoritarian rule, and represent a reduction, not an expansion of state power.

Progressives view people and their liberty as authoritarian, and government as the source of all rights and responsibilities.

Yeah, she wants her authoritarianism to rule the day.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Kamaji

:thumbsup:

Offline PeteS in CA

1. From my Prog-Speak Decoder Ring: "dangerous authoritarian expansion of power" equals Correctly applying the First Amendment's Free Speech and Free Exercise clauses and the USC's Articles 1 and 2 correctly in decisions with which I disagree.

2. Supreme Court Justices to Sandy:

3. Pay your student loan, Sandy, if you had one. And clean the Cracker Jack dust off your college diploma.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 07:03:55 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The only table Impeachment is on is at the Kids table she sits at on Thanksgiving because the grown-ups are tired of her juvenile shit.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
:facepalm2:

Boy is she a danger.

She is such an idiot.

What she's really saying is that the Supreme Court has no authority to determine if a government racial preference violates the Constitution.

So by her logic, the Supreme Court had no authority to decide Brown v. Board of Education.

She's also saying the Supreme Court has no authority to determine whether or not a particular action violates anti-discrimination laws, or whether a law infringes on freedom of speech.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 09:25:20 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
She also mentioned abortion as an example of the Supreme Court "thinking it is Congress".  As if Roe itself was an act of Congress rather than judicial fiat in the first place.

Offline DB

It isn't ignorance - it is stupidity. It can't be fixed.