Author Topic: Senate panel overwhelmingly passes defense spending bill  (Read 129 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate panel overwhelmingly passes defense spending bill
« on: June 23, 2023, 07:32:58 pm »
Senate panel overwhelmingly passes defense spending bill
Mike Brest

The Senate Armed Services Committee overwhelmingly voted 24-1 to advance the annual defense spending bill on Thursday, sending it to the Senate floor for consideration.

The bill supports a top line of $886.3 billion for fiscal 2024 for national defense, roughly $844 billion of which would go to the Department of Defense. Another $32 billion would go to the Department of Energy, and $10 billion has been set aside for defense-related activities outside of the National Defense Authorization Act's jurisdiction.

The top line number is in line with both President Joe Biden’s request and what the House Armed Services Committee passed earlier this week. Defense hawks in the Senate are pushing for a defense supplemental for Ukraine on top of the $886 billion, though House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) is objecting to that effort.

Sen. Roger Wicker (R-MS), the ranking member on the committee, is among the Republicans who believe the top line number is insufficient to meet the Pentagon’s needs as it seeks to deter an increasingly aggressive China, which the department characterizes as its “pacing challenge.”

“I feel strongly that the bill as reported does not adequately fund our defense needs, and I will work to increase the Department of Defense top level as the bill progresses,” he said in a statement. “This is the best way to deter conflict around the globe. I am glad Chairman Reed has also expressed support for higher defense expenditures.”

The bill includes a 5.2% pay raise for both service members and the department's civilian workforce, which would represent the largest increase since 2002.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/senate-armed-services-passes-defense-spending-bill
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34