Author Topic: JUST IN: Coast Guard Cutter Program Isn't Cutting It, Watchdog Says  (Read 158 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
JUST IN: Coast Guard Cutter Program Isn't Cutting It, Watchdog Says
6/20/2023
By Cambrie Eckert   

The U.S. Coast Guard’s $12 billion program to acquire 25 new cutters is taking on risk by constructing ships before finalizing the design and some of the critical technologies on the new ship, according to a government watchdog report.

The Offshore Patrol Cutter, or OPC, program began stage 1 construction with an “unstable design,” according to a 2020 Government Accountability Office report. Despite this, the Coast Guard further continued its efforts with this program, simultaneously “progressing through the technology development, design and construction phases,” according to a June 20, 2023, GAO report, “Coast Guard Acquisitions: Offshore Patrol Cutter Program Needs to Mature Technology and Design.”

The GAO determined the Coast Guard does not have a plan in place to ensure the new cutters — which are to replace the service’s aging fleet of 28 medium endurance cutters — will have a fully developed crane, or davit, that can deploy and retrieve a cutter’s small boats before a ship is constructed. “Nor has the program integrated and demonstrated the davit in a realistic environment. Without a plan to mature the davit and demonstrate it before delivery, the Coast Guard risks further delays and costly rework,” the report stated.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: JUST IN: Coast Guard Cutter Program Isn't Cutting It, Watchdog Says
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 05:07:42 pm »
Stupid is expensive.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.