Author Topic: Philadelphia I-95 overpass collapses after tanker bursts into flames: ‘The roadway’s gone’  (Read 1035 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Philadelphia I-95 overpass collapses after tanker bursts into flames: ‘The roadway’s gone’
By Ronny Reyes   
June 11, 2023 11:47am

A heavily traveled section of I-95 collapsed in Philadelphia on Sunday morning after a tanker truck burst into flames underneath it, police said.

The massive smoky blaze broke around 6 a.m. near the Cottman Avenue exit right beneath a northbound overpass in the Tacony neighborhood. Parts of the overpass were reduced to rubble as the stretch of the major highway collapsed, ABC reports.

The highway catastrophe led to all lanes of the interstate being shut down between the exits of Woodhaven Road in northeast Philadelphia and Aramingo Avenue in the Port Richmond neighborhood. 

“Today’s going to be a long day,” said Dominick Mireles, director of Philadelphia’s Office of Emergency Management, at a press conference. “And obviously with 95 northbound gone and southbound questionable, it’s going to be even longer than that. The roadway’s gone.”

Philadelphia Fire Department Captain Derrick Bowmer said the burning truck also led to explosions underground, with flames coming out of manholes that were blown off.

Mark Fusetti, a retired Philly police sergeant, said he was heading to the Philadelphia International Airport on Interstate 95 when he witnessed the black smoke and plumes rising over the highway.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/06/11/philadelphia-i-95-overpass-collapses-from-tanker-blaze/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DB

Pretty amazing no fire fighters were caught in the collapse. What a mess.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Fishrrman "offa-da-wall" prediction:

If this had happened in Florida, the bridge would be back in service in 2-3 weeks.

But in Philadelphia, might be 3, 4 months... or more.

Offline libertybele

The pictures are just horrific.   8888crybaby
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DB

The pictures are just horrific.   8888crybaby

It is likely they'll have to replace the bridges going in both directions. The one still standing has been cooked.

Offline libertybele

What was the cause of the tanker exploding???

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Fishrrman "offa-da-wall" prediction:

If this had happened in Florida, the bridge would be back in service in 2-3 weeks.

But in Philadelphia, might be 3, 4 months... or more.

That is the truth.  Just look a what deSantis did to get entire bridges open to Sanibel/Captiva.   Philthy doesn't stand a chance of the same results.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

That is the truth.  Just look a what deSantis did to get entire bridges open to Sanibel/Captiva.   Philthy doesn't stand a chance of the same results.

DeSantis also got the bridge onto Pine Island up and running in less than a week.

Maybe the governor of Philly might use some pointers from the good governor of FL.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
June 11, 2023 6:12pm EDT
Philadelphia I-95 collapse: Shapiro says 1 person possibly trapped in vehicle, Biden briefed on disaster
Authorities have not identified possible passengers of a vehicle that is trapped in the wreckage
Andrea Vacchiano
By Andrea Vacchiano | Fox News

Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro said at a Sunday afternoon press conference that a vehicle is trapped in the rubble of the disastrous collapse that shut down Interstate 95 outside of Philadelphia on Sunday morning.

Shapiro said it is possible that at least one person is still in the vehicle, according to FOX 29 Philadelphia. Shapiro would not say if authorities believe it could be the driver of the commercial truck that sparked the massive fire that lead to the collapse, but reiterated that there were no injures or fatalities to drivers on I-95.

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney reported that while there are no known fatalities, the situation is "still fluid."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelphia-i-95-collapse-shapiro-says-person-possibly-trapped-vehicle-biden-briefed-disaster
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Thank goodness Biden was briefed!  :silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
C'mon, Man!

Buttcrack will will have 'em rolling down the Hershey Highway in no time!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

C'mon, Man!

Buttcrack will will have 'em rolling down the Hershey Highway in no time!
He'll get on it right after pride month is over.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

In the Northeast, a bridge replacement job will usually have to be a prevailing wage union job.  God help those poor commuters and commercial transportation drivers.

Pothole Pete may actually show up because Philadelphia is a Dem city and Biden plans to launch his 2024 campaign there this week.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Pothole Pete may actually show up because Philadelphia is a Dem city and Biden plans to launch his 2024 campaign there this week.

He'll be there with lots of lube to spread around.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

A fuel fire caused the freeway to collapse? yogi555
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kamaji

A fuel fire caused the freeway to collapse? yogi555

I believe the fire was underneath the highway, in the underpass area, so the supporting steel structure for that portion of the highway was directly exposed to very high heat.  Heat saps the load-bearing strength of steel pretty quickly.  I recall, in an engineering course I took once many moons ago, seeing the burned out remains of a building (I think it was a church) that had both steel structure and glue-lam wood structure; the image was of a structural steel member draped like a wet noodle over a glue-lam beam that still have sufficient structural integrity to remain load-bearing.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
In the Northeast, a bridge replacement job will usually have to be a prevailing wage union job.  God help those poor commuters and commercial transportation drivers.

If little Petey shows up I fully expect him to lecture on how if everyone was driving EV's this wouldn't have been possible, because he is just that inept and tone deaf.

Offline PeteS in CA

I believe the fire was underneath the highway, in the underpass area, so the supporting steel structure for that portion of the highway was directly exposed to very high heat.  Heat saps the load-bearing strength of steel pretty quickly.  I recall, in an engineering course I took once many moons ago, seeing the burned out remains of a building (I think it was a church) that had both steel structure and glue-lam wood structure; the image was of a structural steel member draped like a wet noodle over a glue-lam beam that still have sufficient structural integrity to remain load-bearing.

Sorry @Kamaji, in that post my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. I've never been a devotee of Trooferism.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kamaji

Sorry @Kamaji, in that post my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. I've never been a devotee of Trooferism.

@PeteS in CA

No worries!

:thumbsup:

Offline mountaineer

Or will this be East Palestine all over again?
Will Pete Buttigieg fit some time in his calendar to visit Philadelphia after I-95 highway collapse?
by Christopher Tremoglie, Commentary Writer
June 12, 2023 01:48 PM

Early Sunday morning, a section of Interstate 95 in Philadelphia collapsed after a tanker truck caught fire underneath the highway overpass. Fortunately, no one was injured. It’s a devastating blow to the city’s main transportation corridor that linked the northeast section of Philadelphia to the downtown area, sports complex, and many entertainment venues. It was a vital section of the country’s East Coast interstate that connected two of the nation’s largest cities, Philadelphia and New York City.

The collapse, we are told, will take months to repair, and there doesn’t seem to be any urgency in speeding up the process. Given the significance of the infrastructure disaster, many are wondering if it is enough of an emergency for Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg to grace the area with his presence. Buttigieg was criticized for seemingly taking excessive vacation time and not prioritizing a visit to East Palestine, Ohio, after a train derailment in the area. It all lends credence to the assertion that Buttigieg, like many Democrats recently, lacks the kind of gravitas needed for the job.  ...

The collapse in Philadelphia wasn’t Buttigieg’s fault, obviously. However, the way he reacts to it will be. Clearly, there are now many infrastructure concerns in the area. There’s no reason he couldn’t have visited the city on Sunday, and there’s no reason he shouldn’t be there on Monday. It is an important matter that affects hundreds of thousands of people. It’s time for Buttigieg to do more than talk, tweet, or go on talk shows. It’s time for him to start acting like the transportation secretary and do his job.
More at Washington Examiner

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️