Author Topic: After 12 acts of vandalism, Arcata sanctuary garden organizers demand help from city  (Read 225 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
After 12 acts of vandalism, Arcata sanctuary garden organizers demand help from city
Jefferson Public Radio | By Roman Battaglia
Published June 9, 2023 at 4:27 PM PDT

A large sign in front of a community garden, with drawings of people, food and animals. The sign says "Jardin Santuario Para Migrantes En Goudi'ni" along with contact information. Spray-painted across the sign in large letters are the words "USA Trump"

Founders of a community garden for Latino and Indigenous migrants in Arcata, California are asking the city council to address ongoing hate crimes. The garden has been vandalized 12 times in the past year.
The Arcata sanctuary garden is a gathering space for migrant families and a place to grow foods from their home countries. But over the past year it’s faced a nonstop series of attacks, including spray painted hateful messages, trashed crops and locks and chains installed around the garden's gates. The group put up cameras this spring to prevent future acts, but they were stolen twice.

Brenda Perez is the executive director of the local nonprofit Centro Del Pueblo, which started the garden in 2021. She spoke at a city council meeting on June 6, asking the city to address the vandalism.

“[Arcata] cannot be called a sanctuary city with those hate crimes. And it’s a shame on this government," she said. "I cannot listen to more "sorrys" from you or from the police department. I need actions.”

Perez said her home is next to the garden, and vandals broke into her backyard recently to steal one of the cameras. She said she's scared for her family's safety.

https://www.ijpr.org/race-and-ethnicity/2023-06-09/after-12-acts-of-vandalism-arcata-sanctuary-garden-organizers-demand-help-from-city
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson