Author Topic: California Dreaming: Newsom’s Kidnapping Claim Against DeSantis is Long on Politics and Short on the  (Read 139 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
California Dreaming: Newsom’s Kidnapping Claim Against DeSantis is Long on Politics and Short on the Law

Below is my column in The Messenger on the call of Gov. Gavin Newsom (D., Cal.) for kidnapping charges against Gov. Ron DeSantis (R., Fla.) for shipping undocumented migrants to California. It is a curious call for a governor to make after he ran ads in Florida calling on people to “join us in California.”

Here is the column:

“Kidnapping charges?” That hopeful tweet from Gov. Gavin Newsom (D-Calif.) came across as the ultimate example of California dreaming, as Newsom and a chorus of politicians and pundits called for Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.) to be charged criminally for transporting 36 people to Sacramento. California Attorney General Rob Bonta (D) chimed in, declaring the flight from Florida might be “State-sanctioned kidnapping.”

Newsom added in the tweet: “You small, pathetic man. This isn’t Martha’s Vineyard.”

https://jonathanturley.org/2023/06/09/california-dreaming-newsoms-kidnapping-claim-against-desantis-is-long-on-politics-and-short-on-the-law/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson